Close

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby bepster » April 30th, 2014, 12:43 pm

User avatar

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: January 11th, 2006, 6:55 pm
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland
Thanks for chiming in, Yo.

The thing is, that it doesn't matter how much the company wants the employee. If the candidate strikes out in the H1B lottery, then that's it. There aren't any real alternatives, apart from maybe the O, which is highly improbable to get.
You just can't buy yourself a visa.
There are alternatives for companies that do have international offices. Nike and Frog would fall into that category of course.

During a recession, there is an abundance of H1Bs such as in 2011 and rarely anybody talks about the fact that high-skill international recruits play an instrumental role in pulling the economy out of the dirt.

Personally, I think by far the biggest drawback for both employer and employee in the visa process has nothing to to with money, lawyer fees or paperwork.
It's that you can't plan. You just don't know when the employer will get a visa if, and that is a big if, will get it at all.

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby rsuzuki » May 1st, 2014, 10:21 am

User avatar

rsuzuki
step two
step two
 
Posts: 87
Joined: February 11th, 2011, 6:25 pm
Location: Denver, CO
I feel you, I think it should be that any graduate of a US educational institution should have some preference over the 172k+ applicants... :/ It's so odd to think that we would put in 4~5 years of time in education in the US, do multiple internships, yet at the end, we have to leave the country. Thankfully, I recently received my H1-B receipt, which means I was in the lucky few. I agree with yo; just like getting a job is based on merit, immigration should also be based on skill, not random lottery.
- Rei Suzuki
from Tokyo, living in Denver
Coroflot » http://www.coroflot.com/rei_suzuki

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby IDAL » May 6th, 2014, 2:07 am

User avatar

IDAL
step four
step four
 
Posts: 293
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:03 pm
Location: Shanghai
@Bepster: I knew you had to be graduate and have like a year working experience, but I couldn't find anything about for how long is it valid. Thanks for all the info! I think it's a very good option for both company and you to go there and see how's life in the US, I might try that in the future. Could you also get an extension or anything like that?

@yo: Good to see there's people thinking that way there. I'm an immigrant myself at the moment, luckily I had no VISA issues because it's within the EU, but still not the same culture or language or legal system. It's shocking seeing how countries like USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand, which grew up and became what they are because of immigrants, now are so restrictive (Probably the US more than the others). I could expect that from Japan or any other country which has been historically closed to immigration, but especially not those.
Alejandro Lara
____________

Observe
Explore
Create

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby iab » May 6th, 2014, 9:56 am


iab
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: January 5th, 2004, 6:03 pm
Just because I am curious, what about emigrating to the Eu from the outside? What's that like?

I'm a US citizen and my German doesn't suck. What's the process like to get a job in Austria?

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby yo » May 6th, 2014, 12:54 pm

User avatar

yo
Administration
Administration
 
Posts: 16423
Joined: January 5th, 2004, 6:57 pm
Location: SoCal
And you thought coming to the US was difficult. I did a little research a few years back when I was being recruited for a position in Germany. Didn't seem easy.

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby IDAL » May 6th, 2014, 1:37 pm

User avatar

IDAL
step four
step four
 
Posts: 293
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:03 pm
Location: Shanghai
Well, I'm not expert on that matter, in my company I'm the only one who doesn't speak German, all foreigners come from around Austria, so they do speak German and are EU citizens. I did interviews on skype with them and I knew I was coming here with the position secured. I'd say if you have a good background, including working experience, it shouldn't be that complicated to find something. Most of my friends don't speak German or didn't before coming here and they got jobs with around the same wage as Austrians.

I've met non-EU citizens, but almost all of them were students in Europe or permanent residents before getting the job so the issue wasn't that complicated to obtain. A friend of mine was doing an internship here and then he got offered a permanent position, they company was sponsoring him so it was easy. At my flatmate's agency they have people from the US (3 -4 in a 35 -40 people office), some of them came straight from the US, the company sponsored most of them. Here we have Redbull HQ, so there are plenty of non EU working, but I never had the chance to ask any of them how they got their visa, maybe there's somebody here who went through that process.

I just did a little research and apparently they changed the visa system, they unified it in a way. It's called BLUE card, for high skilled workers, you can come here and work for up to 2 years. I'm not sure if you can get a permanent one afterwards, but probably it wouldn't be that complicated.

http://www.internations.org/austria-exp ... -permits-2
Alejandro Lara
____________

Observe
Explore
Create

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby sanjy009 » May 6th, 2014, 11:50 pm

User avatar

sanjy009
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 867
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 6:39 pm
Location: Adelaide, Australia
IDAL wrote:I'm an immigrant myself at the moment, luckily I had no VISA issues because it's within the EU, but still not the same culture or language or legal system. It's shocking seeing how countries like USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand, which grew up and became what they are because of immigrants, now are so restrictive


As the son of a Spanish immigrant to Australia in the 1960s, it saddens me that the political climate here is turning inwards. Lots of rhetoric of "stop the boats" and offshore processing (i.e. refugees sent to camps in PNG, explicitly designed to be a worse option that where they are fleeing from), for example federal elections last year the ruling Liberal party had an ex-refugee on a 'stop immigration' platform.
Nothing really to do with skilled migration but colours any discussion of it with a giant racist brush.

The other side of that coin is countries being rewarded with easy visas. Australia as part of the 'coalition of the willing' was rewarded with easy visas to the US. An E3 visa is an Australia-only skilled visa to the US with better conditions than an H1B.

I've read and read that the traditional Aussie-backpacker-in_London-right-of-passage is pretty much over, because it's so easy to get an E3 and they are under-subscribed.

That said, I was made to jump through hoops to get a J1 visa to the US, and that was with a visa agency. Having a wife and kids make you a flight risk apparently (insert Henny Youngman rim shot here).

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby IDAL » May 7th, 2014, 9:38 am

User avatar

IDAL
step four
step four
 
Posts: 293
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:03 pm
Location: Shanghai
sanjy009 wrote:

As the son of a Spanish immigrant to Australia in the 1960s, it saddens me that the political climate here is turning inwards. Lots of rhetoric of "stop the boats" and offshore processing (i.e. refugees sent to camps in PNG, explicitly designed to be a worse option that where they are fleeing from), for example federal elections last year the ruling Liberal party had an ex-refugee on a 'stop immigration' platform.



It's amazing how hypocrite people can be, you could expect that from the 2nd or 3rd generation, but not from somebody who literally left his country on a boat.

By the way, do you also hold a Spanish passport? I know that many descendants from Spanish citizens fleeing the country back in the 50s and 60s do, especially in South America. I'm just curious if there's any kind of agreement for those who went somewhere else.
Alejandro Lara
____________

Observe
Explore
Create

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby ibm67 » May 7th, 2014, 7:14 pm

User avatar

ibm67
 
Posts: 12
Joined: May 7th, 2014, 5:50 pm
Location: California
bepster wrote:Anyone else applying this year?
The situation for H1Bs is pretty dire... 172 000 for 85 000 spots.
I am still waiting for my result from the lottery... but every day the chances dwindle.

In the last few weeks, I have read a lot about immigration and temporary worker policies here in US and non-surprisingly, in the public there is a lot of animosity towards foreigners coming to this country to work.
The industries that hire the most H1Bs see this differently and insist that they just can't source what they need domestically.

It should be noted that any visa is a costly and risky undertaking and companies don't do this for fun or for the pleasure of having cute foreign accents in the office. There is also minimum wage which is set at the average compensation for the position in that particular region. So it is far from cheap foreign labor.

This is a hot topic and I was wondering what the general consensus here on the boards would be.


I have an Austrian friend (who has a military background) and who successfully negotiated the H1B visa issue, but they were from a top European uni which would be considered (in points) to be on a par with ivy league/MIT level from a US perspective and did have a sponsoring job from a reputable design company on the East coast. I think it mostly depends on what value "on paper" the immigration folks think you're offering. Def would be harder to get the H1B if you were (a) coming with sub-elite qualifications from outside European countries (b) not having firmly in place a sponsoring "career" job from an established US company.

2 cents.

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby bepster » May 8th, 2014, 12:50 am

User avatar

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: January 11th, 2006, 6:55 pm
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland
ibm67 wrote:
I have an Austrian friend (who has a military background) and who successfully negotiated the H1B visa issue, but they were from a top European uni which would be considered (in points) to be on a par with ivy league/MIT level from a US perspective and did have a sponsoring job from a reputable design company on the East coast. I think it mostly depends on what value "on paper" the immigration folks think you're offering. Def would be harder to get the H1B if you were (a) coming with sub-elite qualifications from outside European countries (b) not having firmly in place a sponsoring "career" job from an established US company.

2 cents.


Sorry, but this is not true.

H1Bs are not being evaluated and handed out based on merit or how prestigious the school was. It is only the luck of the draw that decides.
If you have a sponsor in a qualifying field, i.e. a job offer for a "high skilled" position and you have academic standing recognized by the USCIS (a recognized bachelor from anywhere in the field will suffice), then you are entered into the lottery.
As stated in my original post, this year, the worst to date, success rate was below 50%.

Where you studied has no weight whatsoever as all applications are assigned a number and entered into a program which randomly selects the winners. After the draw, the winning applications are processed. If you tick the right boxes, you are through.

While I think the quota of 85000 is ridiculously low for the demand, I do not take issue with the selection process. Actually reviewing each and every application that comes in would slow the process to a crawl and also open up for endless discussions on whether one school or workplace is more or less prestigious than another.

On a personal note, looks like I didn't get it and will be Europe bound in June. Frustrating to say the least for everyone involved.

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby ibm67 » May 8th, 2014, 1:12 am

User avatar

ibm67
 
Posts: 12
Joined: May 7th, 2014, 5:50 pm
Location: California
Hope I didn't offend you and I can see your point bepster... in a perfect world it might not matter where you went to school etc, but I do think "off-the-record" stuff like this absolutlely matters. The grads who have top degrees are the ones the US wants - the ones who hiring managers take first. I remember Jeff Bezos a few years ago in a Charlie Rose interview saying he thinks that we should be nailing a green card to every top grad who completed their education in the US; maybe its not written on the forms, but I very very much doubt my friend Stefan would be where he is at in the US today if he had middling/average credentials. It matters.

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby bepster » May 8th, 2014, 1:38 am

User avatar

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: January 11th, 2006, 6:55 pm
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland
ibm67 wrote:Hope I didn't offend you and I can see your point bepster... in a perfect world it might not matter where you went to school etc, but I do think "off-the-record" stuff like this absolutlely matters. The grads who have top degrees are the ones the US wants - the ones who hiring managers take first. I remember Jeff Bezos a few years ago in a Charlie Rose interview saying he thinks that we should be nailing a green card to every top grad who completed their education in the US; maybe its not written on the forms, but I very very much doubt my friend Stefan would be where he is at in the US today if he had middling/average credentials. It matters.


No offense taken.

Of course, whether you get hired and secure sponsorship in the US or not is a separate issue.
Over 50% of H1B applicants this year got hired but didn't even have their Visa applications looked at, me included.

I am certain your friend got hired based on his education but he didn't get an H1B because of where he went to school. He got the H1B because he had a degree, a job offer and had luck on his side in the lottery.

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby IDAL » May 8th, 2014, 8:13 am

User avatar

IDAL
step four
step four
 
Posts: 293
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:03 pm
Location: Shanghai
bepster wrote:On a personal note, looks like I didn't get it and will be Europe bound in June. Frustrating to say the least for everyone involved.


Sorry to hear that bepster!
Alejandro Lara
____________

Observe
Explore
Create

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby sanjy009 » May 8th, 2014, 6:33 pm

User avatar

sanjy009
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 867
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 6:39 pm
Location: Adelaide, Australia
IDAL wrote:
By the way, do you also hold a Spanish passport? I know that many descendants from Spanish citizens fleeing the country back in the 50s and 60s do, especially in South America. I'm just curious if there's any kind of agreement for those who went somewhere else.


Yes. Australia has always allowed dual citizenship (something like 40% of the population is foreign born) but Spain didn't allow it until quite recently.

The confusing part is I've got slightly different surnames, due to Spaniards taking mum and dads surname, but Australians taking fathers only. Can be a hassle in buying plane tickets.

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby IDAL » May 9th, 2014, 1:42 am

User avatar

IDAL
step four
step four
 
Posts: 293
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:03 pm
Location: Shanghai
sanjy009 wrote:The confusing part is I've got slightly different surnames, due to Spaniards taking mum and dads surname, but Australians taking fathers only. Can be a hassle in buying plane tickets.


I know, people always mess up with that haha They look at you like what the hell is this. Lately I've been connecting the two of them with a hyphen, like its clearer which one is the name and which one the surname.
Alejandro Lara
____________

Observe
Explore
Create

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to design employment