Looking to get back into true ID

Hi All-

WoW! I wasn’t sure anyone would even reply to my outcry for help so thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. All great thoughts that definitely seem to be on point. I know the path ahead will not be an easy one but the encouragement and viewpoint provided by others is invaluable to me at this stage.

I agree that heading back to school for my Masters in ID is a bad idea financially. I definitely don’t feel like I need to go back to “relearn” design. It would be good to brush up on some 3D CAD, but mostly I thought it would present opportunities and connections that I wouldn’t be able to find elsewhere. Also, from what I understand of many programs, it can really be a thesis on a product idea that a designer wants to fully realize, develop and possibly market but I’m sure I could do that on my own without incurring more debt. I guess additional schooling always seems like a good idea to those that have “hit a wall” just because it seems like an easy option.

I would most certainly like to get involved in more technical footwear design particularly in the hiking/outdoor realm. There’s not a lot of that going on in NYC but my wife and I are open to relocating. I guess its time to start beefing up my portfolio and showing the breadth of what I am capable of. I currently don’t have access to any 3D software at home or at work…any ideas/suggestions for an affordable way of getting something going at home? My previous experience is in Solidworks…would that be the best platform to continue learning on or would my time be better spent on a different platform more widely accepted across the industry?

@holtag- what kind of design/firm do you work for that this softgoods designer was hired into?

Again, many thanks for all of your contributions and thoughts. Hope you all are enjoying a Happy Holiday season.

Best-Paul