How do you find your own replacement?

Hello! So I am leaving my current job to pursue a better opportunity. Before I go, my employer (a small-time manufacturer) has asked that I find my own replacement. They told me that they wanted somebody with a few years experience, and asked me to “use my resources” to find someone. I contacted my school and a few other school job boards and had it posted, but their career advisers basically told me up front that nobody is going to respond because not many alumni check the boards. So far, they’ve been right.

Meanwhile, my boss is pressuring me to find them replacement candidates “now now now” before I go. This is because they know nothing about the design process, CAD software, or even the difference between a graphic designer and industrial designer – so they want me to conduct the interviews. Despite this, they won’t fork up the dough to post on Coroflot, IDSA, or LinkedIn, let alone monster or indeed. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might get the word out for next-to-free?

Yes, I understand how ridiculous this sounds, but they are treating me like I am sabotaging the process and that I can somehow pull designers out of my butt. They think I’m just holding out on them and that there are people lining up to work there. While they aren’t exactly the most reputable of employers, I would at least like to leave them with someone who can operate a computer for the clients’ sake.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be must appreciated! :slight_smile:

To be completely honest, while it is great to not burn bridges - this is not your problem.

Tell them you need access to proper recruitment tools and you will write up a job description you feel is accurate, they can post it and hire a candidate. If any candidates email within your last few days you’ll be happy to assist, but you are not a hiring manager.

At a certain point you tell them you are leaving, it is there responsibility to have a contingency plan for you, and frankly every other employee, even if they are a small time manufacturer. That’s called running a business and people coming and going is part of life. Not wanting to pony up for a Coroflot ad is their problem.

This begs the question, how did they find you? Did you respond to an ad, were you referred, were you hired by a design manager or creative director and they’ve since left?

It isn’t your problem. I was tasked with the same thing once when I was going to make a move within the company I was working at. The difference was that the transition was my idea and request so I didn’t mind doing the leg work. I had ads, made referrals, had some HR assistance, and conducted a few phone interviews and I still couldn’t find anyone, so, I ended up staying in my position with some changes in responsibility and we hired more designers with different backgrounds instead.

I’d say to give it your best effort, but if they aren’t going to provide tools and support that you need, then you could use that as a point to make in explaining why you’re leaving in the first place.

You could always give Craigslist a shot, or post on your own Facebook/LinkedIn accounts…

Good responses there, guys. You’re both right, this is not your problem. Do what you can and what you’re willing to do, but soon it will be time for you to leave. At that point, you’ve given notice and you’re out the door. It’s up to them to find your replacement.