CAD monkey jobs?

So my sketching and other design skills aren’t up to par, but I really love 3D modeling. I’m starting to consider “CAD monkey” work a viable career. I’m just wondering what the titles of these jobs might be, what kinds of non-design companies I might find work with, and what CAD specific skills I should have.

If anyone can share info, I’d appreciate it.

1. speed
  2. accuracy
  3. ability to make manufacturer CAD models
  4. Advance surface capabilities
  5. Advance solid modeling capabilities
  6. Ability to build stable and adaptable models
  7. know at least 2-3 packages (makes you more marketable if at a consultancy that uses different programs)
  8. Either a ID back ground with strong mechanical understanding or vice a verse

not in any particular order but these are some of the core skill sets you will need. if you can add photo rendering to it that is a bonus (not to hard now a days with the dumbed down software)

Is there a reason you haven’t considered getting your sketching and other design skills up to par?

Technical Surfacers, draftsmen, CAD engineers are all some of the names you might see for CAD specific positions. Expect to be a master of class A surfacing, understand technical drawings and dimensioning, and know how to take bad data and make it “good”. You’ll see these kinds of positions on Coroflot, usually consultancies which service companies like the automotive industry, Apple has a “JR CAD” position that seems to open up every few months (probably because the previous employees hang themselves).

Very interesting. You guys paint the CAD monkey position to be someone of great skill and badassery. I had always assumed from the way people [designers] disparage the title that CAD monkeying was more of a non-design, less-skilled, computer-operator type of position.

As for reasons for not getting my other skills up to par… I’m at a point where it feels like a lost cause. I just don’t think I have “it”. I love design, I just suck at it.

[quote=“designdepressed”]Very interesting. You guys paint the CAD monkey position to be someone of great skill and badassery. I had always assumed from the way people [designers] disparage the title that CAD monkeying was more of a non-design, less-skilled, computer-operator type of position.

Okay so what i outlined is more of a CAD Gorilla, also many people don’t see the value of or appreciate the CAD people, and if done right how that person can help to ensure the vision of the design stays true or even is enhanced through the development process.

Are there jobs out there that just require a basic knowledge of Autocad? Sure.

Are there many of them and do they pay well? No.

If you want to make $30k a year spinning drawings for an architecture firm, or other construction service business you can certainly do it. You could probably find those jobs on craigslist. There are also people who specialize in visualization, people who specialize in modelling, people who specialize in reverse engineering, Class A automotive surfacing, etc.

Is being a Class A automotive surfacing god going to get you a job as a Draftsman for a mom and pop electrical company? No. Is being awesome at autocad going to land you a job sculpting bumpers for International Trucks? No.

I’d consider your attitude about things in general though…if you don’t feel like you have “it” then you haven’t figured out by now that “it” is a combination of a little bit of natural skill and a whole lot of hard work. That’s going to apply regardless of what you choose to do in the future.

It could be worse, you could end up teaching. :laughing:

… many people don’t see the value of or appreciate the CAD people, and if done right how that person can help to ensure the vision of the design stays true or even is enhanced through the development process.

Rewind forty years to 1973, and substitute the word ‘toolmaker’… … . I don’t know how many time those old guys out in the shop straightened me out.

Ha, crust old guys are always a fun bunch. Now we live in a brave new world where “ain’t nobody got time for that”. I wonder how many designers today have personal interaction with a toolmaker. I would expect that it happens most of the time when something goes wrong.

I you can go curvature continuous surfaces, have good design sensibilities and intuition, and are a master of a CAD program, then you can make good money. Being on the designer end of that relationship, though, it might not be worth it to you (hours on end finessing surface details, making small tweaks multiple times. =)

CAD Sculptors/Digital 3D Modelers

Why limit your search to non-design companies? job details -- error encountered

In addition to Apple’s CAD-sculptorDigital-3D-Modeler posting above, a coroflot search under 3D Modeling specialty Design Jobs & Employment Opportunities | Coroflot.com includes 3D Designer to 3D Evangelist.

I’ve got three letters for you: P. O. P.

being a CAD guy is awesome. I know a few people who like it. It’s a challenge in itself. Learning to draw and design isn’t that simple. There is a ceiling, no matter how much you try… When a baseball players quits to become an umpire, no one says, why don’t you learn to run faster or hit more homer-runs…

go for it!