ID Freelancing Questions

Hello all! I’m working on a presentation on freelancing for my 4th year professional practice class and I’m coming up a bit dry. I was hoping those of you in the real world could provide me with some insight.

How did you get started freelancing? Where do you find your work? Is it mostly websites or do you find that networking and meeting people leads to more jobs?

What kind of equipment and software do you feel is necessary to be successful as a freelancer? What would your dream freelancing space include?

Thank you in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tools

. A pen
. Some Markers
. Paper
. Solid modler with surfacing capabilities
. A rendering Package
. A photo editor
. A presentation package

Networking

. anyway you can
. in person
. via web

How i got my my work

. former employeers
.clients that loved me and came with me when i left a firm
. emailing companies
.idsa and networking events

How did you get started freelancing?

Interned for someone who had a lot of friends in the industry, and I was referred for some low-level CAD work. Skills-based gigs (CAD, rendering, etc.) seem to be more in-demand than general I.D. work. Mundane CAD tasks evolved into more sophisticated projects and then actual design projects.

Where do you find your work? Is it mostly websites or do you find that networking and meeting people leads to more jobs?

For me Craigslist has been massive, believe it or not. This is probably location-dependent. NYC has a lot of legit CL usage, other locales seem to only have garbage on CL. Coroflot has gotten me a few gigs, and a friend of mine has had success with Behance. Personal referrals will always reign supreme though. Also simply offering your services to firms (e.g. send a design/branding/packaging studio a sample folio and offer freelancing).

“Networking” can be hit or miss. For me, blindly attending some event has been mostly “miss.” If you’re a student in a room of professionals, sure it can’t help to get your name out there, but if you’re at an event that’s overwhelmingly attended by other students, no one’s really in a position to help anyone. Ditto with trade shows; vendors don’t really want to talk to a punk 22 year old, they want to talk to a buyer.

What kind of equipment and software do you feel is necessary to be successful as a freelancer?

MINIMUM: Decent computer, Solidworks, as much Adobe as possible, Bic pens, maybe two color markers, copy paper, brain, coffee breaks.

RECOMMENDED: Monster computer, Solidworks, poly-modeler like Cinema 4D, Rhino, high-end renderer like Maxwell, Adobe CS, Bic pens, five color markers, copy paper, brain, coffee breaks, beer breaks.

What would your dream freelancing space include?

Sunlight, breeze, massive solid wood table.

It’s interesting that nobody has mentioned rapid prototyping tools like laser cutters or CNC or even basic shop tools in their basic space or ideal space. Is this a product of what is expected in freelancing? In school and in many workplaces designers are expected to create at least sketch models, is that less necessary in freelance work?

The machines you are talking about are expensive and would not be your core money makers as a freelance. It would be better to partner with a prototype shope

Definitely agree with chevisw.

I have never seen a freelance ad for a model maker. Almost all companies would use professional model shops that can do things lightning-fast.

A couple of “not so sexy yet important” additions that looking back were incredibly helpful and important when I first went out on my own.

A well written Terms and Conditions/Contract document. I purchased the “Contract Terms and Conditions Reference For Product Design Consultants” from the APDF and it was probably the best $250 I have spent.
https://www.apdf.org/contract-terms-and-conditions-reference-for-product-design-consultants/

A copy of some sort of accounting software to manage invoices, expenses, tax etc…Doesn’t need to fancy - just keep yourself organized and professional.