Job Hunting with a Lacklustre Portfolio?

1. Definitely proof-read. It’s “An ambitious designer…” not “A ambitious…” That stuff bugs me.

Also, just for everyone out there: unless you are that top .1% of designers with hot sketches, awesome production pieces etc., the little details like grammar will be noticed and will bother people. If you aren’t a total genius, make sure you don’t have small errors in your C.V. or portfolio. I know it’s not fair, but if I’m not screaming, “WOW!!!”, I’m looking for a reason to toss your C.V. in the recycle bin. Don’t give me that reason.

1. As Bepster said, it feels like you are missing a project. Your C.V. says you have interned and have a little experience under your belt, but it feels like there is very little in your portfolio. That was my first impression.

As a recent student, I would try to have one big complete project presented. If it was weak in one phase, redo it. I would present just the strongest elements of the other projects you worked on.

1. Your sketching isn’t stellar, but it seems good. Though, I want to see more. I like your chair design, but what were your other ideas? Was this really your best? Why did you make that decision?

Every design problem has at least nine good solutions. I want to see that you found them and picked the best one for your project.

1. Cut to the chase. You need to wow me at a glance. Right now, you have a lot of pages that are dialogue and I want to see a car chase. Pages 2-4, 8, 9 seem like filler. If you really need them, but this at the back. When I opened your portfolio, I felt that you didn’t have any work to show. As I moved my way through, I started wondering why you didn’t put the good work up front.

2. Image quality. At least on my computer, everything is a little fuzzy. This especially hurts your renderings. I need to see a sharp, crisp rendering to see if you know what your doing.

3. To sum up, you are close to having something here. Keep working at it.