Salary Survey

Does anyone know if there is a way to see previous years for the Coroflot Salary Survey? whenever I try to look up a previous year it takes me to the current page saying to check back soon for the all new one. Is there a reason the old ones are locked off and inaccessible, or am I looking in the wrong place? Even if it’s a year or two old I think it would still help me decide things like how much to charge for freelance work.

No one has any idea where to find the previous survey results? Maybe you guys could help then. How much would you charge for freelance consulting as a freshly graduated Industrial Designer in Arizona providing my own software?

I’ve tried to find past results too, with no luck!

Can’t help with your subsequent question though, as I’m based in the UK and have never freelanced.

I’d say about $60-$80 per hour. The typical work year is 2000, but if you are sole income if freelance, typical billable hours could be about half that, the othe 1000 hours being biz dev, pitching, networking, and other biz related tasks… so if you value your time at $50k per year as a fresh grad, and add overhead, insurance all that good stuff, you are probably close to $70 per hour. This is all pretty rough math, but should give an idea.

If you can be more billable it effects the equation. For example I know some folks who have yearly freelance contracts. So they have a guarantee of about 2000 billable hours. Changes the math completely. On the flip side, if you have a job and you are doing freelance for fun and experience, that can alter the math too.

Thanks Yo. I work 9 to 5 four days a week at a packaging design firm so it’s not my primary source of income, and I only have a couple clients so far. I was charging $20 an hour while I was still in school, but now I realize I under priced myself. What do you think would be the best way to raise my rates to a more reasonable value without putting current clients off, or is it unavoidable?

A common technique is to quietly raise the rate 10% on a per project basis. This is easier to do if you bill at a per project quote flat rate vs T&M (Time and Materials). If you have a full time job, it is less stressful to do since your dinner doesn’t depend on it. As a student I think $20 is reasonable (you are a student after all), but now that you have graduated, I would double the rate and go from there. In the end, you may have some legacy clients who lag behind in the rates, but stay firm with new clients.