COROFLOT REPOST > hiring at the Sound United Design Center

@Yo

Any interest in recent grads for the intern spot? Or do they have to apply for the full time spot?

Congrats btw!

I’d be open to considering a recent grad for either but I prefer to hire a recent grad full time and save the internship for a student

Congratulations on the new position Michael, it sounds right up your alley! I look forward to seeing what you do and the team you build, seems like an amazing opportunity.

best
r*

Congrats Michael on the new role. the jobs sound great and a great opportunity for a young designer to learn quite a bit from being part of a growing team. If you need any managers let me know. :wink:

J

Hey Yo,

Is there any possibility of a Design Engineer Intern position opening up in the future? I’ve got almost as much design experience as time in school, but still a year off of the ME degree…

Also, if you’re Canadian, is that enough to fulfill the “Candidate must be qualified to work in the US already.”? Luckily we’re the exception to most immigration laws and it wasn’t too hard last time I came down to work.

Finally, what do you look for in an ME portfolio? So far I’ve tried to build it along the lines of a traditional ID portfolio: sketches, rendering, etc. to show design ability and let the ME degree (or in my case my GPA in ME) speak for itself, assuming nobody wants to see my FEA and surface analysis or lines of equations.

Sorry if it sounds like I’m trying to fit the job to me, I’m just kicking myself for not being born a few years earlier and in the US :stuck_out_tongue:

“Candidate must be qualified to work in the US already.” means you’ll need a TN-1, H1-B status or Permanent Resident card. Based on your posting it sounds like you had a TN-1. If you have any of the three above you’d definitely qualified to work in the US.

I had a J-1 actually since it was an internship, but for both the J-1 and the TN-1 you need an offer of employment before you can apply for the visa. Most US jobs I have applied to have some form of that disclaimer but I usually apply anyway and explain the exact process and situation if I hear back. You never know about the ones you don’t hear from though…

I’ve had all three (TN/H1/PR). The most straight fwd one is TN-1 status. Since they’ve extended the length of the TN1 to 3yrs it makes it more attractive compared to H1B and doesn’t have the 7yr cap associated w/ the latter. Assuming you’re graduating from Carleton/UofO you’ll have a Degree and job offer letter you’ll have no problems since you’re on the Trade Nafta list.

We are getting off topic, but i wanted to add that you can only apply for permanent residence with a h1B thus the reason to have that over a TN.

I spent some time nearby in La Jolla, fun times. Vista? Better get fire insurance.

Congrats on the new role! Interested in seeing what you have in mind for packaging. :mrgreen:

I was thinking the same.

J

I live and work in this area. No different than any other place in SoCal in terms fire risk.

Hey everyone!

A little update here. About 6 months ago, we hired two forum posters here at DEI, Savage and Cameron in addition to a few staff we already have. The team has been building out well, and we are now looking for a few additional folks:

The first is a junior to mid level Industrial Designer.
job details -- error encountered

The second is a mid level to SR UX / Visual designer.
job details -- error encountered

Please apply through the links. Lets see if we can keep the trend of hiring forum poster :wink:

Also, if you want to see a little of what we have been up to:

Industrial Designer role is filled, still looking for a good graphic designer:

A little bit more about what we have been up to:

Good times will be had :wink:

Hey everyone. As many of you know, we have been really trying to push things at Sound United. We launched 35 new products last year. We are expanding our team, adding a few more graphic designers.

Full coroflot description here.

No ID positions right now, but if you or someone you know in graphic design might be a good fit I’d love the recommendation. Experience in packaging a plus. Our graphs designers really work on the shoe gambit of possible brand touch points from packaging to retail and environmental graphics, trade show booths, mobile apps, and web experience.

You might have noticed we changed our division name from DEI Holdings to Sound United, full updated company site here:

We also redesigned the full HQ. Pics below.

XM12_def_tech_298.jpg

Office space is looking great Mike! How often are you guys able to open up that huge service door and let the weather in?

Thanks Matt. Redesigning the office was an awesome project! Other than December and January, we open the 18’x22’ door in the studio pretty much every day.

Very nice build!

Chevis W.

That’s an amazing amount of space, for what looks like 8-10 seats. Definitely helps with recruitment.
Is the rest of the company like that, or are they crammed into cubicle grids with fluoro lighting and no windows?