Time to ask for my hat?

Taking nothing away from the resource on which we are all posting, may I suggest you still consider an investment in an IDSA membership? I know there are those who frequent these boards that might feel differently, but there are a lot of valid arguments for how the IDSA community can help you during these “crossroads” moments in your career.

I think online resources like Core77 are invaluable in terms of how you can connect with so many individuals with a vast array of expertise, but there really is no substitute for direct, face-to-face connections with someone you can have a one-on-one discussion. At our conferences and the numerous Chapter and Section events throughout the year, IDSA creates the opportunity to look a fellow colleague in the eye and ask them, “What do you think?” Not only can you show someone your work (you can do that on Coroflot), you can talk about what you really want to do and they can get to know you as person and not just a poster on a discussion board. Personally I am more likely to recommend or refer someone I have met in person because I firmly believe in the value of looking someone in the eye.

In line with the sentiment of some of the other posters, I would discourage the idea that your employers should be the one to pay for professional association memberships. While your participation in these organizations can be very beneficial to your employer, the core benefit is to the member interested in developing their network and skills; and it speaks to their commitment to their career and community. It’s a worthwhile investment and I can personally speak to that as several of my past positions are the direct result of my IDSA network.

Depending on where you are interested in moving, I strongly encourage you consider attending the District Conference (now called “Design Dialogues”) in that area of the country that interests you. This would be one of the most direct way to reach out and directly connect with folks who should be able to give you some useful information, contacts and advice. (Go to Events - Industrial Designers Society of America for info on the conferences.)

Lastly, I agree with the previous posters that it is always easier to look for a job while you have a job. Just consider that the networking and personal interaction IDSA offers can be invaluable when you’re looking to make a change.

Best of luck,

w