Questions About Career as an IDer

1. I probably pump CAD about 40-60% of the time. We have informal meetings because I’m in a small company but have larger meetings when I have nearly completed a design and we’re ready to design tooling.

2. I’m currently working on a large project which I started in late 2010 but have worked on hundreds of smaller things in between this project. We should have this product released by about April or May this year. I have been the single industrial designer on the project from the initial chicken scratch sketches, through to high quality rendered sketches, orthographics, prototyping, CAD, redesign and now I’m working on the tooling 3D prints and sand casting and shell moulding layouts, machining and assembly drawings for our machine shop and assembly departments. I will probably also do the graphic design of the promotional material too.

3. See # 2, but also I’d like to add that there is a lot of management intervention in designs and a lot of consulting with the people who run the departments who actually physically make the product (in our case, foundry, machine shop, assembly departments).

4. I hope so, this is my first ID job, but I have experience in woodwork, upholstery, machining and building as I started ID at 30.

5. A lot. Especially the technical side of things. E.g. material specs, processes, manufacturability. Not so much of the user feedback as our sales guys do national trips and like to handle that side of thing.