hertric5

Extremely insightful bepster.

The job market on the East coast is something I still don't fully understand. Here in the midwest it seems everything is about what you've done and how vocal you are about it. There are so many civil, electrical, and mechanical engineers that everything is a battle. I was starting to feel that it was much of the same out on the East Coast but its not.

I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that NY seems to be more about the upfront conceptualizing and less about 'is it functional'.

Is it acceptable out there to call up the companies and ask to speak with HR reps? That's a big NO-NO here and is sure to lose you any chance you might have had.

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

Is it acceptable out there to call up the companies and ask to speak with HR reps? That's a big NO-NO here and is sure to lose you any chance you might have had.

I would discourage the phone call. By "cold call" I was rather referring to approach a company without them putting out a job listing.
Got lost in translation, sorry.
A phone call is quite personal and puts whoever you have on the other end on the spot. Also, there is not much information given to whoever you call.

I have had success with three different approaches, the personal email, networking through events and shows and then being refered by somebody else who is in a higher postion. The last one is of course the best one but if there are no contacts yet established, the other two might work just as well.
An email is very handy as you want to make it as easy as possible for the employer/recruiter to see if you might be a good fit. Important is that the email is not too long and concise, quickly outlining what it is that you can bring to them.
I would cut the whole "working hard" mumbojumbo. It is a given, of course you will work hard. Your resume and visual material will reflect this.
Just tell and show them why you are great, not that you are great.

If you don't hear back, I would not follow up. They have seen it, they have read it. If they ignore it, they are not interested right now but maybe get back later. There is a fine line between a harmless inquiry and spam.

All is of course based on my personal experiences and some here might very well disagree. But this has worked well for me.

marcscime

Funny... I'm an IDer in Los Angeles and I've been contacted twice in the last couple of months by companies seeking an Industrial Engineer, including one today. I'm not sure what these companies are seeing in my resume and portfolio that makes them think I'm an engineer or suitable for their needs... Baffling.

Lmo

What's really baffling is why this "project" discussion is embedded in the "Design Employment" forum.

It isn't so baffling really. You're receiving inquiries from Headhunters looking for Industrial Engineers because their computers are kicking out lists of names with "all" keywords, and there is no clear distinction between the two, to them.
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

marcscime

Lmo wrote:
What's really baffling is why this "project" discussion is embedded in the "Design Employment" forum.

It isn't so baffling really. You're receiving inquiries from Headhunters looking for Industrial Engineers because their computers are kicking out lists of names with "all" keywords, and there is no clear distinction between the two, to them.

Actually, they haven't been headhunters at all. They've been HR people in small companies. Being quite familiar with one of the two companies which had already contacted me twice (same HR person) and interviewed me once in the past I think it's particularly odd. In house design is a big part of what that company does... Custom designed and manufactured high-end office furniture systems and environments. They have Industrial designers and likely at least one engineer on staff.

hertric5

Did any of these companies happen to be in the NYC area by chance?

I haven't heard back from anyone in New York. I get a hand full of calls everyday from companies all over the Midwest that want to setup interviews when I didn't even apply to them.

It really amazes me how different the design engineering industry is from Michigan/Ohio to the East Coast. I feel Like I get considered for positions I'm not even fully qualified for here yet, I don't even get a response from those out East that I feel I exceed the requirements for.

Does anyone know of a company looking for engineers with experience in plastic injection, prototyping, testing, or 3D CAD design?

Lmo

They've been HR people in small companies. Being quite familiar with one of the two companies which had already contacted me twice (same HR person) and interviewed me once in the past I think it's particularly odd. ... They have Industrial designers and likely at least one engineer on staff.

Sounds like a stereo-typical, small time, HR secretary... [so call me a misogynist, I'm not, but you can call me one this time].

... there is no clear distinction between the two, to them.

But since you seem to have an "in" with this company perhaps you can parlay this into a "design" job, while you're explaining the distinction between industrial engineer and industrial designer (?) :wink:
Lew Morris

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

Lmo

I get a hand full of calls everyday from companies all over the Midwest that want to setup interviews when I didn't even apply to them ...

I feel Like I get considered for positions I'm not even fully qualified for here yet, I don't even get a response from those out East that I feel I exceed the requirements for ...

Does anyone know of a company looking for engineers with experience in plastic injection, prototyping, testing, or 3D CAD design?

Sounds like you already know who they are. Time to pull up those roots and journey out.

BTW, I get Monster job listings every day, with filters set for "designer, drafter, tooling, molds, etc." Lots of the kind of work you're looking for.
Lew Morris

Previous

Return to design employment

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list