Close

Re: AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggh!!!!

Postby engio » April 27th, 2015, 8:57 am

engio
full self-realization
full self-realization

NURB wrote:We just had a guy quit by faking a car accident.

During his first week, he left for lunch and never came back. Never called for 2 days. Then we got a text from him saying he got in an accident and was at the hospital. Then after 3 weeks he calls and says "I had time to think during my recovery and decided it's not the place for me."

So instead of just having a quick 5 minute conversation on day 4, he turned it into a 3 week ordeal.

Uhm.. I'm missing the part where you make it clear that the accident was fake? From what I read it doesn't sound like a highly unlikely series of events. It's not that big of a stretch to rethink recent life choices while being bound to a hospital bed.

Postby chevis » April 27th, 2015, 12:46 pm

chevis

I am also curious how it was determined if it was fake. If so then shame on him.... if no then i can understand that.....

Postby NURB » April 28th, 2015, 10:31 am

NURB

chevis wrote:I am also curious how it was determined if it was fake. If so then shame on him.... if no then i can understand that.....

Sorry: the answer is Facebook...
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby yo » April 28th, 2015, 12:03 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

ah, the old Facebook slip up. I've witnessed that one aw well. Call in for a sick-day, Facebook post of entering a competitor's lobby....

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

yo wrote:ah, the old Facebook slip up. I've witnessed that one aw well. Call in for a sick-day, Facebook post of entering a competitor's lobby....

That I never got. How someone would fake a sick day when heading to an interview.
I think that's pretty shameless.

At least, spend a vacation day!

Postby yo » April 28th, 2015, 7:25 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I think you can fane a sick day if it is a last minute interview, it happens, but just don't post about it on Facebook man! C'mon now.

Postby chevis » April 29th, 2015, 7:25 am

chevis

NURB wrote:
chevis wrote:I am also curious how it was determined if it was fake. If so then shame on him.... if no then i can understand that.....

Sorry: the answer is Facebook...

Ha, in the end i think you should be happy then that he is gone now and not 6 months after he does real damage...... stupid is as stupid does.

Postby yo » April 29th, 2015, 10:25 am

yo
Administration
Administration

^^ silver lining. :-)

Postby NURB » April 29th, 2015, 7:14 pm

NURB

I agree, it's just a pain to find good people at that position. Oh well.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

PackageID

A couple weeks ago was "bring your kid to work day". As you can imagine, working at a chocolate company this is quite the event with TONS of kids. That day I had a meeting with our VP of R&D. As I was walking with him to a conference room a kid about 7-8 years old comes around the corner and yells "Hey (VPs first name)!!!" He politely stops and talks to the kid. Afterward I asked him if he knew hem and he said no, then asked "Whatever happened to Mr and Mrs?"

I have noticed this as well. My neighbor's kids who are 7 and 4 call me Justin which is what their parents told them to call me. When I was a kid if there was an adult in the room I referred to them by Mr and Mrs. Hell my wife called my dad Mr Coble when we were dating until he told her to refer to him by his first name.

I just hate seeing these old manners fading.

J
-Justin Coble-
http://coroflot.com/jcoble

"Never let the same dog bite you twice" -Chuck Berry-

powaz
step three
step three

PackageID wrote:
I just hate seeing these old manners fading.

J

Those "Old Manners" are LAME. It's not respect; it's vapid traditionalist jargon. Super prevalent in the South, it carries no meaning other than being a tired and superficial gesture. Growing up it was "Mama" & "Papa" and "Yes" and "No". Adding "Sir" doesn't make your "Yes" any Yessier or your "No" any more "Noish". It reeks of the military and other bureaucratic organizations where wearing fancy clothes and saying the Exact Right Thing At Every Moment is Very Important and Proper and Deviation from The Norm Is Unacceptable to the point where I find using the terms almost insulting.

My wife, however, grew up in a traditional Southern home, and so she's got my daughters saying "Ma'am" & "Sir", but, what the hell, it can't hurt, right?

Still creeps me out a little.

I try to avoid using "Ma'am" and "Sir" as much as possible unless I'm talking to police officers or judges, who I make a point to avoid as much as possible.

So just know, if you interview me, I'm not going to call you "Sir". Well, unless I think you're an asshole. :D

I have some other pet-peeves too, if you want to hear about them :wink: And no, I don't actually wink at people, it's creepy.

Mr-914

I feel like I winked at people twice in my life and immediately felt like a creep. Strange that we emoticon so much winking and use it so little in real life.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

The aaaaarghh swings both ways :

The last exchange in between me and the owner of an infamous local agency (verbatim) :

Him:
you know nothing about me or "my people"

Me:
I believe you should wait at least a day to tell someone to go to Hell.

Go to Hell !

I was answering a Craigslist Ad for a web development gig... :?
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

chevis

NURB wrote:I agree, it's just a pain to find good people at that position. Oh well.

Hmmmmm. perhaps i would be a fit......... ;)

Im also a safe drive and past my mid life crisis////

PackageID

Powaz - Thank you for your reply. I was not claiming that you should be referring to an employer by Sir or ma'am. Actually I think that is a bit inappropriate in the workplace. But I will say growing up in the south this is how a lot of people are raised as kids and I see nothing wrong with it. If you came in for an interview and referred to me as sir I would politely tell you to call me Justin.

Now to point of my post...A child referring to an adult as Mr and Mrs especially when they don't know the adult I think is common courtesy. There should be a level of respect given to adults by kids.

KenoLeon - I sure hope you dint tell an employer to go to hell. Remember the design work is small and people talk. Never good to burn bridges.

J
-Justin Coble-
http://coroflot.com/jcoble

"Never let the same dog bite you twice" -Chuck Berry-

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to design employment