Close

40water
step one
step one

Back to what Jehan said, I like the way "developer" sounds but it is missing something.

What about,

Product Design Developer
Industrial Design Developer

rkuchinsky

yo wrote:Thanks for the clarification Jehan! I got a little worried there for a second!

Aham73, that is about a good of a recap of what we as I have heard in awhile.

Lately, I've been gravitating to the term creative. I am physically designing a lot less stuff, though I am directing design language, critiquing product, assisting in writing briefs, questioning the process, mentoring and building the team, explaining things to retailer, work with Brand Design on everything from our overall brand voice to our packaging hangtags... but I still consider all of these things design, and I apply the basic set of creative problem solving techniques to these diverse tasks. Which i why I like the term "Creative"... though it's a bit snobby sounding...

I still design some good old stuff though... working on a custom Jeep for the SEMA show this year!

Fwiw, below is the term and description I've created to address this confluence of design and indirect creating-

ie. Directive Creation- (vs creative direction)

It’s easy to think a creative project is all about meeting design, time, budget and market needs. But there’s more. All projects play an important role in the strategic direction of a brand, company or product. Not just creative design. Not just giving “creative direction” for others to do the work, but being creatively involved in all aspects of the product to focus the direction of the brand. This is Directive Creation.

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

enigma
step four
step four

I'm an industrial designer to my design colleagues. I'm a product designer to my non-designer friends and strangers.
Using both sides of the brain . . . .

rek

At what point do we just call ourselves "Designers"? Really, ID encompasses all aspects of design from Product to Interior Design to Visual Communication. Sometimes, our "product" is simply research that discovers unmet needs. In my view, to be a successful IDer you have to be a jack of all trades. So why pigeon hole ourselves to "Product/Intustrial" Designer?

yo
Administration
Administration

I usually just say I'm a designer. It is easier. But most people assume graphics then.

d_88

yo wrote:I usually just say I'm a designer. It is easier. But most people assume graphics then.

When I say designer, people assume it's fashion :?

yo
Administration
Administration

Lately I say "product designer" and when I get a quizzical look I say "It is like an architect but for objects", most people get it. I find the word "industrial" throws most people off.

loughnane
step two
step two

yo wrote:Lately I say "product designer" and when I get a quizzical look I say "It is like an architect but for objects", most people get it. I find the word "industrial" throws most people off.

Whenever a vendor (almost any vendor) comes in and gives a presentation, they say they serve "medical, consumer, defense, and industrial markets". In their nomenclature, "industrial" means sheet rollers, testing fixtures, laboratory equipment, etc.

So I agree, industrial is almost irrelevant... when I think of "Industrial + Design" I don't think of the ID folk I work with, I think of Brunel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isambard_Kingdom_Brunel
Chris Loughnane
pdnotebook
Quora

step three
step three

Difference between Product Design and Industrial Design: jobs and $'s.
To add a quantitative perspective, a quick count of "industrial design" and "product design" job openings posted today (9/7/2010) shows about 39% more 'Product Designer' jobs than 'Industrial Designer' driven by way more entry level ($40-60K) 'product designer' postings. 'Industrial Design" peaks between $80-100K, with 'Product Design' pushing over the $120K mark.

yo
Administration
Administration

I doubt that having the word "industrial" in your title will limit your salary, but I feel that product is just more accurate. An ap, a service, and an object can all be products, and so the title is not as limiting, where as industrial implies some sort of mass production process effectively eliminating software and services.

scrotum
full self-realization
full self-realization

What's the difference between Product Design and Industrial Design? About 45k!

sonaheart

Here is the difference between Product design and Inductrial design:

---Product design is to find all the solutions to realize the idea into real product;Industrial design is to find ideas what your products should look like and make your customer like your products;

---Product design is always related to mass production;Industrial design is always related to marketing and client;

---Product design is about structure and assembly;Industrial is about appearance and aesthetics;

---Product design focus on how to realize function;Industrial design focus on what functions are client/marketing need;

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

sonaheart wrote:Here is the difference between Product design and Inductrial design:

---Product design is to find all the solutions to realize the idea into real product;Industrial design is to find ideas what your products should look like and make your customer like your products;

---Product design is always related to mass production;Industrial design is always related to marketing and client;

---Product design is about structure and assembly;Industrial is about appearance and aesthetics;

---Product design focus on how to realize function;Industrial design focus on what functions are client/marketing need;

Whoa! Be careful when using the word always. I think you might be confusing product design with design engineering there, besides, I've seen industrial designers give thought to mass production, assembly, and function just as much as I've seen design engineers give consideration to clients, aesthetics, and needs.

I just tell people that I'm a designer and if I get a quizzical look I elaborate that I do product development, product design, graphic design, and exhibit design. Then to mess with people I tell them that I design the components that I use to design the exhibits that I design the graphics for.
All dots connect, even the tiny blue one

sonaheart

Greenman wrote:
sonaheart wrote:Here is the difference between Product design and Inductrial design:

Whoa! Be careful when using the word always. I think you might be confusing product design with design engineering there, besides, I've seen industrial designers give thought to mass production, assembly, and function just as much as I've seen design engineers give consideration to clients, aesthetics, and needs.

I just tell people that I'm a designer and if I get a quizzical look I elaborate that I do product development, product design, graphic design, and exhibit design. Then to mess with people I tell them that I design the components that I use to design the exhibits that I design the graphics for.

Maybe in different company the job responsibility of Industrial deisgn got different definition.I do think process,mass production and assembly are not the points they should pay atentions to.

As for Product design and Design engineering,sometimes the boundary is not too clear,this depends on the orgnization of the company/factory.

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

sonaheart wrote:Maybe in different company the job responsibility of Industrial deisgn got different definition.I do think process,mass production and assembly are not the points they should pay atentions to.

As for Product design and Design engineering,sometimes the boundary is not too clear,this depends on the orgnization of the company/factory.

I totally agree it depends on the environment of the designer, however those industrial designers that give thought and attention to process, mass production, and assembly can find themselves earning lots of extra credibility beyond a "pretty picture" stereotype.

An invaluable industrial designer is one that can symphonize the wants and desires of the end-user with the realities and limitations of production and manufacturing. I realize that this is asking a lot from any one individual, but these are the qualities of an influential designer.
All dots connect, even the tiny blue one

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to design employment