Close

Job Dilemma

Postby akrober3 » March 14th, 2017, 11:17 pm

akrober3

So right now I am currently in a dilemma. I graduate in may and am currently interning with a small company. When I started they said that they usually do an intern-to-hire, but haven't mentioned it since I started in January. I wouldn't mind working for them as long as the salary/benefits are good enough to support my family. However, they haven't mentioned anything since that initial interview and I'm not sure when I should bring it up (or how). I've obviously been looking for other jobs and have been starting to get some interviews. What would you do?

Re: Job Dilemma

Postby KenoLeon » March 15th, 2017, 1:15 am

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

I would just ask them what their schedule is for new hires, ideally you would have asked that in your first interview(s), do you have any contract, what does it say ? It's also easier to find a job while you have a job, currently interning at X company sounds better than unemployed these past X months, and you can use any offers you get from either side as leverage, so I think the when is now, the how is somehow more delicate, but you need to know when they will hire you and how much will they pay you ( whats the starting salary for a designer) . I would write the boss/hr department a nice letter with your questions and maybe forewarn them you are sending it while at the same time pursuing other opportunities. 3 months is a somehow average internship length so your request shouldn't be seen as coming out of the blue, especially if they are not paying you, hopefully others will chime in.

Best,
-K
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby Jboogie941 » March 15th, 2017, 7:54 am

Jboogie941
step four
step four

Akrober3,

I'm not sure how relaxed your work environment is but, I would just be upfront and ask as well. Schedule a one on one and roll all these questions into a performance review. If you get the sense they like your abilities and you as person, be all means tell them that you like the company and are highly interested in staying on full-time. If there is some hesitation on their part, probably a good idea move forward with plan b and c. Good luck man!

Postby Dan Lewis » March 15th, 2017, 8:51 am

Dan Lewis
step four
step four

Just ask. The worst that is going to happen is that you're still looking for a job. If answering the question is a problem for them then you know that you are moving on. BTW are you getting paid for this internship -- you know that you are supposed to be paid if you are doing real work???

Postby FH13 » March 15th, 2017, 4:01 pm

FH13
step four
step four

Sounds like you are hesitant to stay there as well. As a designer you need to speak up...it's not a good practice to work on assumptions or fear of what could happen.

It's just business so just ask the right person when you can chat about full time employment. Be grateful they hired you as an intern but don't feel obligated to stay...specially if you have other better jobs lined up.
Whatever you do, just don't jerk them around and don't let them jerk you around either. If you are looking, be upfront and let them know if necessary. If you have offers then find out theirs and then make a decision. You can negotiate but if you are forcing the salary or working conditions then it's probably best if you take the other job.

Good luck.

Postby yo » March 15th, 2017, 11:02 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

You will definitely need to assert yourself and ask for what you need. Otherwise they would likely just keep the internship rolling.

Postby no_spec » March 16th, 2017, 3:43 pm

no_spec
full self-realization
full self-realization

I've never received a straight answer to the schedule question in an interview, either they tell me I've got the job or it's to be filled ASAP

Postby AVClub » March 17th, 2017, 3:48 pm

AVClub
step two
step two

I would just ask your direct superior. If you enjoy the job I would express that you enjoy it and that you would like to continue to be an asset.

Return to design employment