Re: Please critique my resume?

Postby yo » January 28th, 2013, 4:59 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Jesse, I know you don't mean to come off that way. Words are difficult, as they can be easily misinterpreted. Even though there are not any hard and fast definitions to any of these roles, there are some commonly used terms. It is important to stick within those because you will likely be applying for existing positions.

In simple terms, likely no one is going to see your resume and say "hey, lets get budget approval for this this guy". Instead they will have already gotten budget approval for a design researcher or interaction designer. Your resume will be compared against the job description that they wrote.

Postby jcharles00 » January 28th, 2013, 5:24 pm

jcharles00
step three
step three

yo wrote:Jesse, I know you don't mean to come off that way. Words are difficult, as they can be easily misinterpreted. Even though there are not any hard and fast definitions to any of these roles, there are some commonly used terms. It is important to stick within those because you will likely be applying for existing positions.

In simple terms, likely no one is going to see your resume and say "hey, lets get budget approval for this this guy". Instead they will have already gotten budget approval for a design researcher or interaction designer. Your resume will be compared against the job description that they wrote.

I definitely follow you there. I guess I was making an assumption that if my resume was in a stack of applicants for an interaction designer position that they would assume that I wanted the job of interaction designer.. the definitions were my attempt at a novel way of showing what I would bring to that position, although now I can see how you guys are interpreting it. It may go back to my idea of what an Interaction Designer is being wrong by industry standards. You guys seem to be looking for pretty graphic layout, but I am only now in my first graphic design course since I'm coming from a different discipline. It's easy to say that it means I'm not ready for an internship, but graphic layouts aren't the job I want necessarily, and I really need the internship to figure out how design firms function in order to narrow down my thesis work.

This is definitely a struggle for me, and is playing on my insecurities about the educational path I've chosen - it has left me with a lot of holes in the areas that would make me stand out for an entry level position. I'm starting to worry that I'm going to have to entrepreneur my way into experience which I really don't think would be productive. :/

I really do appreciate all the feedback from you guys though. I am making progress, it's just slow.

Postby jcharles00 » February 27th, 2013, 12:47 am

jcharles00
step three
step three

After a bunch of variations and revisions, this is the one I'm going to go with. It's been an interesting process; lots of learning. ..how employers use resumes, how they view them (print/screen), how different printers affect the visualization, practical application of visual/cognitive elements.. I may even include this in my first year review.

I'm still violating some of the "rules", but doing so as a choice rather than by ignorance. we'll see what happens.

Thanks again you guys for all of your feedback! I really appreciate it!
Attachments
JesseCharlesIxDResume.jpg

Postby yo » February 27th, 2013, 1:25 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Much better Jesse. When you say "student designer" , is this an internship, or a sponsored project?

Postby jcharles00 » February 27th, 2013, 2:04 am

jcharles00
step three
step three

yo wrote:Much better Jesse. When you say "student designer" , is this an internship, or a sponsored project?

The GE and Whirlpool entries are sponsored projects in the traditional ID sense. I've talked to some other students who recommended listing them this way. The research project wasn't sponsored per se, but was enacted at the request of the ETB and done through the anthropology department here. The rest are community projects through the EPICS (Engineering Projects In Community Service) program. When I began my involvement with that program I spoke with the then college relations rep from Motorola who told me that they were all worthy of listing as separate "jobs".

I realize there is some nebulousness to the student designer titles, but it seemed like the best way to list the experiences. Especially for someone like me who doesn't have any more formal experience in this field.

Postby rkuchinsky » February 27th, 2013, 10:16 am

rkuchinsky

I find "student designer" misleading. You should list them all under Sponsored Projects, not as "employment". You must have other employment history of some sort, even if not design related?

I'm not clear what the EPICS program is, or what those roles are, but listing everything as Student Designer and finding they are really jobs, would put them all into question.

If those or the projects are not really jobs, but projects, you should be clear about how long each one was. Showing that you did more than one thing per year and a different thing every year is a bit confusing.

I'd suggest better to list something like:

Sponsored Projects-

Whirlpool, 6 week
project description goes here

GE Healthcare, 2 week
project description goes here

EPICS (Engineering Projects in Community Service)
description of program
- Project 1, 1 week
description

-Project 2, 3 weeks
description

etc.

R
Richard Kuchinsky / Directive Creator
http://www.rkuchinsky.com

The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

Postby yo » February 27th, 2013, 8:10 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I agree. I would read listing it as student designer to be fluffing it a bit. I would break the officially sponsored projects as sponsored projects. Ones that were NOT for school credit could be listed as freelance.

Postby Eddie L » March 2nd, 2013, 7:39 pm

Eddie L
step two
step two

We've had students from my school refer to their sponsored projects as "Contract External Design Consultant", which definitely feels misleading.

In general, I wouldn't include sponsored projects as work experience. I've heard time and time again from professionals that school projects with companies are impressive, and should stand out in your portfolio... not your resume. Maybe condense those down to a single bullet of "Sponsored Projects: GE, Whirlpool, etc."?

Postby jcharles00 » March 3rd, 2013, 11:31 pm

jcharles00
step three
step three

Eddie L wrote:In general, I wouldn't include sponsored projects as work experience. I've heard time and time again from professionals that school projects with companies are impressive, and should stand out in your portfolio... not your resume. Maybe condense those down to a single bullet of "Sponsored Projects: GE, Whirlpool, etc."?

Thanks for the input Eddie.

I feel like if I just listed the single bullet for all these projects that I'm hearing you guys say shouldn't have their own, it would be extremely underwhelming, no? as in, not enough get my foot in the door?

Perhaps I'm asking the wrong questions.. What do you put on your resume when you have no _real_ related work experience?

Postby rkuchinsky » March 4th, 2013, 8:16 am

rkuchinsky

Everyone starts with no experience at some point. At the level you are at, it's all about portfolio. They aren't expecting a student to have a lot of real world experience, but exaggerating what you do have makes you seem untruthful, which will immediately get that foot that is in the door chopped off.

R
Richard Kuchinsky / Directive Creator
http://www.rkuchinsky.com

The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

Previous

Return to design employment

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list