Re: Mechanical Engineers Invading ID

Postby Greenman » December 6th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

CrazCruz wrote:Oh Boy!, that ME you are describing could be me in 4,5 more years!, I mean, I think I'm choosing ME over ID because I want to design things and I want them to be produce-able, not just beautiful concepts and modern art. Am I doing wrong?

No, but it sounds like you have a lot more questions to ask yourself about what you really want to do, if you're still in school then you've got plenty of time.

I read your post to contain a dose of sarcasm, so I'll bite. The dude I was referencing had told me exactly what you just said in a context with which to bash my own chosen path, as an insult if you will, to diminish the fact that I took a more design focused path, which he felt was superfluous and less valuable to our organization. If you want to be a jack-of-all-trades and you have the competency to back that up, then go for it, doubly so if you lack common professional social skills required to work well with others as part of a team of diverse disciplines, because you will find yourself working alone more often than not. What I'm getting at is you can take a more focused path and if you work well as part of a team where roles and responsibilities are well defined, you don't have to be able to do it all, but you do have to trust those involved.
All dots connect, even the tiny blue one

Postby tltoledo » December 6th, 2012, 7:37 pm

tltoledo

I meant no sarcasm :) I really don't know if I should or not study ME

Postby Greenman » December 7th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

Oh, hey I was referring to CrazCruz bud, no worries.

It sounds like in your situation the ME would be a benefit, but consider if you really need to get another degree or if you just need more ME skills/knowledge. Taking ME related classes to gain the skills while you are employed might be all you need to get the edge you're looking for.

Where I work we have younger ID who has done a lot of ME related on-the-job training simply by learning from the ME's and DE's. He certainly has more new skills today than he did when he walked in the door a few years ago.
All dots connect, even the tiny blue one

Postby CrazCruz » December 8th, 2012, 1:39 am

CrazCruz

With all that you said now I completely understand this topic, the whole "ME invading ID" thing.
And No Sarcasm, literally I could have been that person you were describing. laughs

Postby leezard » December 17th, 2012, 6:04 pm

leezard
step one
step one

If I were in your shoes I'd look for a program to get a masters of ID, maybe taking evening classes here and there as it fits in your schedule. Having an ME background is incredibly beneficial to ID, but to really become a designer I believe you need to learn not just the "hows" of production that they teach in school, but also the who/what/when/where/why through studios and design history and research coursework. I'm an industrial designer and I work very closely with MEs and sometimes we do incorporate their design input, but at the end of the day the designers call the shots.

Here's something else to consider (although it probably doesn't apply to dedicated ID firms, I work as one of a handful of industrial designers at a huge contractor): When potential clients come to our company with a project, they ask for a stack of resumes for every employee who will be working on their product and they want to see designers with design degrees. They would balk at the fact we hired someone and gave them a job title of "designer" even though they have no formal design education, and might take their contract elsewhere.

Previous

Return to design employment

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list