Re: Functional Portfolio

Postby DanOrbach » March 19th, 2012, 10:30 am

DanOrbach
step three
step three

Greenman that's definitely some good insight! I know as a student I have a pretty limited perspective on portfolios, and what people look for in them. I guess I was coming at it more from a student perspective, where you might not have anything in production, and the best way to prove you have skills is to show them. I'd think if you designed some kick-ass products, you'd have to have done your due diligence in the process, so what you're saying makes total sense. I try to think about design school kind of like learning English in school, they teach you all the rules first, and make you follow them. Then you break them later when it's appropriate. My process is definitely not a linear step by step kind of thing, and I'd almost have to question anyone who claimed to have a linear process, because it just never works out that way... at least in school. So where you're coming from makes sense there too.

Postby Greenman » March 19th, 2012, 10:58 am

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

Right on, as a student, showing that you understand the parts of the process and can communicate in your portfolio how they led you to your final solution is important for employers to see that you think and understand the design process. As you get into the working world the game does change, you accomplish projects, maybe win awards, make contacts, and evolve as a designer, my point being is that as you progress in your career the evidence that you understand the design process becomes more inherent with each success.
All dots connect, even the tiny blue one

Postby mirk » December 6th, 2012, 12:10 pm

mirk
step four
step four

I've divided my portfolio website between skills (mostly not full project work, but rather work I did on improving that specific skill as much as possible) and full projects. Interestingly enough, I was looking through the usage stats on it the other day, and the skills pages are visited much more than the project pages.
Admittedly, the skills links are on the left so you see them first, and its a design engineering portfolio so people may be looking for different things, but I thought it was important to note, given the emphasis that's placed on process for student portfolios.
Michael Coyle

Portfolio: mcoyledesign.com
Twitter: @mcoyledesign
Hurdler / CLUG / Kijani

Previous

Return to design employment

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list