Close

Postby tessa » January 25th, 2005, 11:15 pm

tessa

one reason bottles should be washed at the drink dispenser and not at home:

a lot of people do use those eddie bauer plastic bottles or even an old poland spring whatever bottle for water over and over again... but that's water. it's convenient - you don't have to wash the bottle that often - just rinse it and fill again - whatever, wash it every once in awhile - but it isn't totally necessary. no one wants to wash a thermos that contained sticky sugar drinks after a long day, let alone carry it around. the ony demographic who consistantly use their own personally drink recepticles are babies and their bottles - mabye look into why and how, etc.
i'll do what I want! gosh!!! hhhauuhhh.

Postby finiteD » January 31st, 2005, 4:00 am

finiteD

Good start! Have you heard of BIOTA (blame it on the altitude) water bottles? It's essentially a plastic that is made from corn oil, etc. and afer just three months in a ladfill, it decomposes! I actually took one of these bottles and placed earth into it added some water and within two weeks it appeared as if the bottle was melting. It shrunk 1/4 of its size!

As for the sterilization factor, how about coming up with a collapseable bottle with a top that was self sealing so that at any given time the bottle would be ready for refillage. Kinda like those water containers you use when camping.

Cheers!!! :D
"Out of an honest conversation will emerge the best description of reality."

Postby ykh » January 31st, 2005, 9:04 am

ykh
full self-realization
full self-realization

"I actually took one of these bottles and placed earth into it added some water and within two weeks it appeared as if the bottle was melting. It shrunk 1/4 of its size!"

cool.

Postby iab » January 31st, 2005, 5:28 pm

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

tessa wrote:one reason bottles should be washed at the drink dispenser and not at home:

a lot of people do use those eddie bauer plastic bottles or even an old poland spring whatever bottle for water over and over again... but that's water. it's convenient - you don't have to wash the bottle that often - just rinse it and fill again - whatever, wash it every once in awhile - but it isn't totally necessary

Not the best idea, without cleaning, those bottles act as excellent petri dishes for bacteria.

I also had a new thought about the bottle. Back when glass bottles were reused, they would become frosted from the reuse. I don't know how appealing a frosted plastic bottle wouuld be. Maybe the bottle would have bumpers where they come into contact with other objects or the whole thing is opaque. Just a thought.

Postby ykh » February 8th, 2005, 6:27 pm

ykh
full self-realization
full self-realization

find it odd the discussion hasnt gone further tbh. i'd guess the machine we know is remnant of glass bottle requirements. big and sturdy. heavy. dimensions set by glass bottle storage. internal movements. and mechanicals. betting aluminum cans kept same basic dimensions. just new internal mechanicals. update the beverage container. not the delivery system. limit corporate expense. no change to infrastructure support. marketing only knows billboard message. all the same as before. safe and uncreative.

what if:

- the dispenser wasnt rectilinear? wasnt a box?
- the beverage container wasnt a can? or bottle? or plastic? after all, purpose is immediate gratification. why the elaborate storage?
- the beverage container was created in the machine? filled w beverage? and edible? like a coconut.
- the dispenser was shaped like a tree? or a grape vine? something Willy Wonka would design?
- if Marketing likes the billboard, wont they love a trademark dispenser shape thats not a box? a trademarked beverage shape, thats not a can? a rebirth of opportunity akin to classic Coke bottle. the shape the world knows.

Postby BlenderDefender » February 12th, 2005, 9:27 pm

BlenderDefender
step two
step two

Ok, I am getting my act together and started throwing some ideas on paper.

I thought it would not add too much cost to mold in a retainer ring to the cap.

and of the machine its self:

Postby dygitalvision » February 12th, 2005, 10:29 pm

dygitalvision
full self-realization
full self-realization

I think POM has come to a nice solution for there bottles. and there advertisements are nice also-

I think the shape has to function but also work asthetically so that it stands out-again no real unique bottle but because of what is printed on the bottle i think Vitamin water is well designed. But I dont like the way it tastes-too bad great bottle layout design.

vitaminwater-

POM

Postby BlenderDefender » February 12th, 2005, 11:08 pm

BlenderDefender
step two
step two

yeah I dig the pom bottle.

Bottle Ideas/sterilization

Postby Chowmander » February 13th, 2005, 12:26 am

Chowmander
step two
step two

I was thinking about bottles, dishwashers, and how it is alot easier to clean the outside of something than the inside.
Someone said something about baby bottles, Have you seen those baby bottles with the liner inside of them that keeps air out of the milk?

What if you had a hard shell bottle(like nalgene) with a liner? The machine could suck the liner out the top and clean the surface of the liner. You could do away with the wand and trying to suck out leftover cleaner. It also lets you design the bottle shape without hoving to consider how the shape affects the cleaning wand (the sucked out liner would look like a balloon no matter how the bottle was shaped).

Postby BlenderDefender » February 14th, 2005, 9:41 pm

BlenderDefender
step two
step two

Final solution:

My solution to the disposable pop bottle is a system of bottle and machine that sells the Drink separately from the bottle. The vending machine has an option to buy either a full bottle of the desired product or refill a bottle that has already been purchased. Through price structure it is advantageous for the consumer to buy a bottle and use it multiple times rather than buy once and throw away.

The bottles through their design have a non-deposable aesthetic, however, they use the exact same amount of resources to manufacture as existing disposable ones. The labels are printed on the plastic to further extenuate the non-disposable aesthetic.

Eventually these bottles will probably be thrown away, however, if the user refills their bottle only a single time then there is one less pop bottle in a land fill. Chances are they would refill it more than once increasing the benefit each time. Hopefully it will never be thrown away.

Th insides of the actual machine will be like a hybrid of a soda fountain and a soda bottle machine.

Previous

Return to Archived: DESIGN SLAM! Design Competition