full self-realization
full self-realization

pretty useless for this comp. but too good not to share

Chinese man grows his own chairs

Postby 73lotus » February 3rd, 2005, 6:42 pm

73lotus
step four
step four

Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for the link ykh.

Unfortunately, its about as extreme of a DIY product/project as the rock chair that I began with. :wink:

I wonder if bamboo could be made to bend like that? I'm not too familiar with all of the species out there, so it may be possible. With its incredibly fast growth rate, you could have a piece of furniture 'grown' in much less time.

Postby bluegrrrl » February 7th, 2005, 8:21 am

bluegrrrl
step two
step two

73lotus wrote:I wonder if bamboo could be made to bend like that? I'm not too familiar with all of the species out there, so it may be possible. With its incredibly fast growth rate, you could have a piece of furniture 'grown' in much less time.

well, even if you can't *grow* a bamboo chair, you could include bamboo slats to use as the seat or the backrest of your diy-chair-pack :wink:

Postby ykh » February 8th, 2005, 5:23 pm

ykh
full self-realization
full self-realization

would consumers trade portability for something else? second thought - Chinese "chair" raises question: what if chair is purposely immovable? park benches arent mobile. or big flat-topped stones placed on landscaped grounds. portability issue raised w concrete. but mainly as problem. is it a feature worth giving up? if object is natural. not man-made like concrete. is the feature less important? do we want to protect garden furniture bc of experiencess w metal? rust? and w UV-plastic problem? where is the trade-off? isnt NOT worrying and NOT storing garden furniture an advantage? in contrast to portability?

Postby 73lotus » February 11th, 2005, 10:25 pm

73lotus
step four
step four

The concrete garden chair - a study for a possible DIY alternative to traditional garden furniture.

With the rising popularity of DIY projects and the TV shows that inspire people to tackle these projects, an inexpensive, long-lasting chair that the consumer can build themselves for the same as (or less than) the cost of cheap plastic chairs makes sense. The chosen material, concrete, offers some great possibilities for customization (dyes and stains) as well as the use of natural and sythetic waste materials for reinforcement while still remaining inexpensive and simple enough for most to undertake.

The chair presented is designed to simplify the entire process as much as possible, making it more appealing to possible consumers. The flat-packed cardboard mold could be sold through any store, but ideally through those that retail the two bags of fiber-reinforced concrete mix required. 'Allowing' the consumer to apply their own labor on-site removes a great deal of the costs involved in manufacturing and transporting such a product. This means that the consumer can purchase a higher quality, extremely durable product for roughly the same amount of money as other inexpensive garden furniture

Last edited by 73lotus on February 13th, 2005, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ykh » February 12th, 2005, 12:28 pm

ykh
full self-realization
full self-realization

389 words??? this your final? might re-read guidelines. let images do more of the talking.

Postby 73lotus » February 13th, 2005, 9:59 pm

73lotus
step four
step four

Corrected to meet guidelines. :oops:

Previous

Return to Archived: DESIGN SLAM! Design Competition