Close

Biomimetic Thinking

Postby Carbon-13 » May 22nd, 2006, 12:05 am

Carbon-13

The man will clearly author an innovative agenda at HM, pushing a technology-based approach focused on human interface. His reliance on bionic/biomimetic design principles and processes will only strengthen his position there and give new product development a stable foundation for success.

http://www.media.mit.edu/events/di-2004 ... 4-1022.pdf

If this breakdown of Mr. Lodato's thought process is any indication of what the future holds, Herman Miller is in for a period of renewed thinking and great design. I think it was a very positive hire.

Postby beesign » May 22nd, 2006, 1:04 am

beesign
step two
step two

to ny design guy. or what ever, i suppose you are an expert on all things design.

again, typical of most on these boards. assumptions and arrogance.
you put words in my mouth and you didn't even address the issue i raised.
learn to argue please.

besides that, those phones could have been based on a difficult hardware platform that made it even harder to develop 'sleek' or modern and avoid bulky looking forms simply due to the shear size of the internals. Then, couple that with somewhat conservative thinking in harwdare development and architecture and you are left with polishing a turd. That is what 95% of real world ID is about. making something you know will look like shit look good becasue you don't have the HW firepower behind you.

again, please remember that ID is more than what you learned in school.

it's sometimes about the aggreed upon design polemic, the marketing and sometimes what you end up doing when the boss isn't looking.

Postby nydesignguy » May 23rd, 2006, 11:34 am

nydesignguy
step four
step four

I honestly thought that a year later, this thread would be revived because of the launch of Leaf at ICFF.

Instead, beesign seems disturbed about something I wrote almost year ago. It would be one thing if I were critiquing your work, but instead you are defending home half ass design work with no major market appeal or financial success. So, who has the big, bruised ego here?

In the meantime, Moto/Ed Zander have been innovating and making tons of money worldwide with product like the SLVR, RAZR and Q making this discussion about obscure Nextel phones mute.

Postby moderator » May 23rd, 2006, 1:07 pm

step three
step three

Nextel phones are usually corporate account phones- For example, All guys on a construction management crew for US-home are stuck with a nextel phone.

Since office furnature is a line item in the budget, maybe Franco is perfect for the job? He knows how corporations open their wallets.
Good design does not have borders

Postby mmjohns » May 23rd, 2006, 3:24 pm

mmjohns
step four
step four

I guess this means we can now expect Herman Miller to start making the most radioactive furniture in the industry.

Previous

Return to design research