Persona Workshops

I recently pitched a local Internet start up on my coming in and leading an ideation workshop. I am a recent ID graduate and while I have freelanced on a few of these for other companies, I have never done one on my own. What I proposed what that I create a few fake user personas with full personalities (occupations, interests, lifestyles), and then I come in and lead a workshop on how their product would work for each of these difference consumers.

I have no idea how to price something like this. I know a large consulting firm would charge tens of thousands of dollars, but as a recent graduate working with a small start up, what is a ball park to be working in? Thanks!

I recently pitched a local Internet start up on my coming in and leading an ideation workshop. I am a recent ID graduate and while I have freelanced on a few of these for other companies, I have never done one on my own. What I proposed what that I create a few fake user personas with full personalities (occupations, interests, lifestyles), and then I come in and lead a workshop on how their product would work for each of these difference consumers.

I was hoping people might have advice on how to set up a workshop like this, and what makes them run smoothly. Also, as a recent graduate freelancer, what can I be charging for something like this? Thanks!

So, to be clear, you pitched something you are not sure how to do and now you want advice on how to do it and what to charge?

Yes. I’m a recent graduate trying to make any opportunity I can, and this is what it takes.

I did not read your whole post but I stopped the minute I saw “fake” Persona…

Personas should not be “fake”. If you plan on following through with this you need to genuinely do the research and the personas need to have real characteristics… If you “fake” them, you are just conning the coffee shop into paying you for something worthless.

I suggest you study the customers, ask questions, and grab a few books on Personas…

Dont waste their time and money by doing something half ass…

I will post the titles and links to several books I have purchased that I have found useful.

I don’t really mind you getting into something a bit over you head - that’s how you learn and grow, but best suggestion I can give that is non-specific to your question is to at least look at it from the clients perspective and see what is useful or actionable for them. End results are key and random profiles or research won’t help anyone. Make your own methodology with goals and deliverables in mind and stick to that.

As for price, hard to say without knowing what you are doing or what they expect. At the least I think it is more a good learning experience for you than money maker.

R

You’ve basically got four things to consider:

1. Preparation
    a) How long will it take you to review background information about their industry, market research, etc so you can be sure to construct useful personas based in fact?
    b) deciding what tools/methods to use and how to engage participants - you’ll want to change it up every hour and a half or so.
    c) deciding which problems to attack - working with the product manager to determine problem statements
    d) creating materials - are there handouts, presentations, or presenters to get everyone up to speed. You’ll need to set up an agenda of some sort
    e) training another moderator on the background and method (if needed depending on group size, format, etc)

2. Conducting the workshop
    a) Will you need to find/pay an assistant to help you keep things moving throughout the day or to handle a second group - it’s often useful to break the group into sets of 5-6 people. Perhaps the product manager can assist.

3. Summarizing
    You will need to compile what happened, organize it, and give critical thought to what ideas came out of it. This probably needs to be in a .pdf or powerpoint. You may need to tighten up some drawings so it reads well to those who didn’t attend depending on the organization. How long will this take?

4. Facilities rental/food/snacks/materials.
    Usually this gets a 15-20% markup.

So take your hours, multiply by at least $80/hr, and add the costs plus markup for #4. Don’t forget an assistant’s hours too during the workshop and preparation if you need one. That’s your fee.

Like R said I would just make sure its something useful that you provide the coffee shop, not just fluff.

If you want to go the “Persona” route, check these out:

http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Digital-Age-Human-Centered-Products/dp/0470229101

Also check out this article by Michael Roller, pretty interesting read about how you can mess up your personas.

http://productdesignhub.com/2011/06/six-ways-to-screw-up-a-design-persona/

T

What a shame. Rather than take the sage advice of experienced professionals, it appears he has chosen to ignore said advice and repost under a new title and a slightly massaged question. Tsk. Tsk.

http://boards.core77.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25607

[quote=“umlautthoni”]What a shame. Rather than take the sage advice of experienced professionals, it appears he has chosen to ignore said advice and repost under a new title and a slightly massaged question. Tsk. Tsk.

http://boards.core77.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25607[/quote

If you notice, I posted both at the same time since I wasn’t sure which was more appropriate. What the hell is wrong with you people!!!

Thank you to every one who is actually trying to help, your advice is appreciated.

Merged the topics to facilitate the discussion.