human measurements

Hello everyone. I’m starting a chair design project in my studio class and one of the first things I need to do is make a 1/4 or 1/5 scale model of a person to sit in the model chair I am going to make. My question is where do I find the measurements to make an accurate scale model of a human? preferably I’d like to be able to make a person that represents both the 5th percentile and the 95th percentile so I can test them both to account for most users. If you can just steer me in the right direction it would be a big help.

you could try peoplesize…

but you’ll have to make 2 models. because by definition 5thile and 95thile have different sizes :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link, it looks very useful, but I think that I found what I need from free online sources, and yes I do know that the models would be different.

I am a bit late but I would suggest “Human Dimension and Interior Space”. It is a great book with every measurement you could ever need.

Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Human-Dimension-Interior-Space-Reference/dp/0823072711/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255835875&sr=8-1

Dryfyuss’ Measure of Man is a classic and good addition to a designer’s library… though I have heard some Human Data is changing (people are getting bigger, etc). This page is an example of what you’ll find inside

Believe it or not, the US Military anthropometric scales in the Mil-Spec MIL-STD-1472 are some of the most accurate to the current sizes of people. You could check them out too… and they are free

MIL-STD-1472F, MILITARY STANDARD, HUMAN ENGINEERING, DESIGN CRITERIA FOR MILITARY SYSTEMS, EQUIPMENT, AND FACILITIES (23 AUG 1999)