FieldCREW - A User Research Design Concept

I’ve been working on a concept for a next generation user research workstation. You can read about it here:

I saw you talk about this at the Design Research Conference last week; the idea of a specific tool like this for our practice is great. I would add a remote, wireless mic so you can capture good audio no matter where you sit. I’ve been experimenting with using a Canon Elph (SD800; which comes with a relatively wide angle lense, which is super helpful) for video, and for the most part, it works really well - easy to handle, direct to digital (no tapes to “convert” from), unobtrusive to participants. Biggest downside is audio: hence my wish for the wireless mic.

Liked the idea of high-speed video as well (discussed at the conference), though in my work (food and drink containers for use outside the house) there’s less call than in some more delicate HF-like investigations. Looking forward to seeing where it goes!

I saw you talk about this at the Design Research Conference last week; the idea of a specific tool like this for our practice is great. I would add a remote, wireless mic so you can capture good audio no matter where you sit. I’ve been experimenting with using a Canon Elph (SD800; which comes with a relatively wide angle lense, which is super helpful) for video, and for the most part, it works really well - easy to handle, direct to digital (no tapes to “convert” from), unobtrusive to participants. Biggest downside is audio: hence my wish for the wireless mic.

Liked the idea of high-speed video as well (discussed at the conference), though in my work (food and drink containers for use outside the house) there’s less call than in some more delicate HF-like investigations. Looking forward to seeing where it goes!

Actually we have a solution for the audio recording issues that you’re referring to, although we didn’t show it clearly in the concept yet. Each informant (person being observed) can wear a small clip that serves as both a remote microphone, and a tracking device, so that the remote cameras can automatically keep them in-frame them as they move around the environment.