Help in gathering info for project

What is the dirtiest part of the bathroom?

• Toilet
  • Sink
  • Bathtub

0 voters

I have recently begun a project on the concept of cleanliness. We were asked to think of some spaces where we feel unclean and try to break down what it is about the particular environment that makes it seem “dirty” or “unclean.” Since I live in a college campus, I’ve decided to choose apartment kitchens and bathrooms as my areas. Typically when I’m in other peoples apartments, I tend to feel a little uncomfortable when I’m in other peoples kitchen’s or using their bathrooms. I am wondering if anybody on this forum feels the same way and if so why? What is it specifically that makes apartment kitchens and bathrooms so dang nasty? If anyone else has other environments that they feel unclean in, feel free to mention it here with an explanation. All info is greatly appreciated!

Here’s something I’ll never understand…

Public toilets are provided with hand-dryers, the benefits of which are higher status of cleanliness as well as not wasting paper etc. But you still need to get out of the bathroom, which is usually through a door - so if people don’t wash their hands (without wishing to generalise, many men haven’t perfected the hand washing art) and you’re touching the same door handle/push pad etc., you might as well have not washed you’re hands!

Anyone else ever thought this?

Do i feel awkard in other peopls kitchens bathrooms? I dont know but i always make sure i leave it tidy and clean as it was when i got there. Then that said i do that in all aspects of the other persons space. Reason why? simple its an act of resepect and common courtesey towards other people.

I think the above paragraph is person dependant, i.e their ubringing. When at uni i was quite appalled at the lack of consideration many of students i lived with had for other people in regards to habits and cleaning etc… Especially in general areas like the kitchen.

That all said if the place i go to is a dump then you’ll be damn sure i aint that fussed, thats not to say i’ll piss all over the floor but i wont be extra careful or pay extra close attention to how the room environment was before i entered.

Gorgeous makes a very good point about toiletts, especially in places like Lodndon waterloo. If you’ve never been you have to pay to get in: go through a turn style. Now not only do you have to touch those but like gorgeous mentioned you have to touch the doors to get out. What is even more annoying is people dont even find the insentive to wash their hands even if its to use the cool dyson airblades!! Luckily if my memory serves me correctly waterloo doesnt have any doors to get in an out, but its still a very good point. Must admit i find the UK generally quite appaling for it.

I voted for the bathtub simply because some people seem to enjoy peeing during a shower (hopefully not during a bath) but they won’t clean as hard as they would clean the toilet.

What makes something seem clean in the cases suggested is the smoothness of surfaces, the display of objects and the smell or lack of smell.

On a side note, I have a dog in my apartment so “clean” for me also equals “no fur on the floor” (and that is probably true for hairy guys :slight_smile:).

Btw, forgot to mention that using public bathrooms for girls isn’t easy either - some women are real pigs! So one of my friends, who is really tall, always pulls the door by holding over the top whenever there is enough space for her fingers (and usually in these bathrooms there is).

Its been said that your kitchen counter is way dirtier than your toilet seat. That’s why I spray Lysol or Fantastic in my sink after every dinner.

I voted for bath tubs because I feel like mold, mildew, and soap scum are the biggest factors affecting cleanliness. Sinks can get dirty with toothpaste and general hand dirt, but the tub seems like a more daunting task.

A good question to ask next is, how does the material of the sink / tub affect its cleanliness? Think water - hydrophilic vs hydrophobic.

Its been said that your kitchen counter is way dirtier than your toilet seat. That’s why I spray Lysol or Fantastic in my sink after every dinner.

I voted for bath tubs because I feel like mold, mildew, and soap scum are the biggest factors affecting cleanliness. Sinks can get dirty with toothpaste and general hand dirt, but the tub seems like a more daunting task.

A good question to ask next is, how does the material of the sink / tub affect its cleanliness? Think water - hydrophilic vs hydrophobic.