I'll be Teaching Design Research Methods in Sunnyvale, CA

Instructor: Steve Portigal
Six Tuesday Nights from Oct. 9-Nov. 13, 2007
6:00 PM-8:00PM

This course, based on a curriculum I developed at CCA, will provide first-hand knowledge and training in core design research methods. At its root, design research emphasizes learning about people and using the insights gained to inform and inspire design. We will focus on exemplary models of what research is, what it looks like, its role in concept generation, and what it produces.

Students will develop their own design research philosophy, learn how to think about people, behavior, and culture, as well as the importance of being open to new perspectives. They will also learn tactical skills they can immediately put into practice: how to conduct observations and interviews, find research participants, and interpret and synthesize results as fodder for design and storytelling.

steve, sounds awesome.

if i was there i would take the class for sure.

i posted a question a while back asking if anyone could recomend texts on the subject, know of any? Im attending school where i think the subject is not covered nearly enough, and i would like to take the initiative to learn more independantly… can you point me in a direction?

My classes are strongly based on getting experience and being to reflect on the experience. That’s the most effective way, I believe, to become a better design researcher.