Universal Design

definitely check out adaptive environments if you haven’t already - http://www.adaptiveenvironments.org/. they have a pretty extensive list of resources, events, etc. on their site.

from their site -
AE has been the lead organization in the international Universal Design movement, having hosted or co-hosted five international conferences (New York -1998, Providence -2000, Yokahama – 2002, Rio de Janeiro – 2004, Kyoto – October 2006) as well as international student design competitions, smaller regional meetings and publication of web and print materials.

a couple months ago i heard valerie fletcher, ae’s ex. director, speak and she was so inspiring. she handed out business cards and encouraged people multiple times to contact her. when i wrote to her, she got back to me in a day…i was really impressed. if you have specific questions, i would definitely ask her, because she is very much into outreach.

Valerie Fletcher
Executive Director
617-695-1225, x26 (v/tty)
vfletcher[at]AdaptiveEnvironments[dot]org

one interesting point she made was that univeral design is an emerging field, so there aren’t necessarily a multitude of programs and jobs already available. many people are currently forging their own path and you might have to do so as well.

one firm that she mentioned, which is doing some universal design is design continuum in boston. i’m not sure what they have done recently, but i read an interview on core with gianfranco zaccai, co-founder of dc and it was interesting - Core77 interview with Gian Zaccai. i liked his (obvious) point about how “if you design something expressly made for someone elderly or disabled, then they’ll try not to use it for as long as they can, since it stigmatizes them.”

also, you may want to check out the universal design handbook. i just came across it, so i can’t comment on the contents too much, but it is co-authored by elaine ostroff, the founder of adaptive environments -

good luck!
cordelia