My first Photoshop render

This is my first attempt at a Photoshop rendering. It’s a snowsport’s goggle with an integrated digital camera I’m designing for a university project as I described in a post about the project at Camera Snowsports Goggle student project

It’s my first attempt at a photoshop render and I’d love to hear your thoughts on it, feel free to criticise.

Thanks,
Ed

I saw your post in the projects section, just didn’t get around to replying.

Thanks for posting. It takes courage to post your first of something for all to see. Great job overall, bellow are my comments, starting with rendering-

1 - the lens looks a little too real (assume it was trimmed from a photo), for me it detracts away from your design, I would look into abstracting this so it fits with your rendering style, or making your rendering style more photo real.

2 - the object is floating, background or a shadow would help it I think

3 - your light source is good, nice contrast, consistant lighting…but the highlights on the nose peak are very gittery. I would use the path tool to straighten them up, or get better with throwing stokes down on the tablet

4 - the nose foam padding is super flat, apply your light source, add a shadow from the goggle frame, and it lookes like you used the noise filter to simulate the foam texture, try checking the monocromatic noise box in that control panel

5 - OK, now we are into the meat, form. You’ve got a lot of crisp lines in the nose, organic stuff above the eyes, and then straight up hard geometry with a box and a circle above the nose for the camera guts. Pick the form language that communicates best what this product does and fits with your consumers life and then roll everything out with it. It will be a much more unified design. Make sure you work that stuff out in your sketches before you start rendering (and work on those loose sketches!)

Nice work overall dude, keep it up.

that comic book layout for the project intro is sooo sweet :smiley:

I agree with everything Yo said as far as critique goes, and I thnk it was a great first attempt. My only question is, why photoshop rendering. did you learn a 3D prog at your school? if you did, you could probably build the thing, anf render 20 different views in the same amount of time you spend rendering each view in photoshop. You could also always photoshop in the strap, as it would be difficult to build in 3D for realism.

Hi,

Thanks for the help, I’ve tidied up the rendering with the things you suggested, I think the foam section still looks quite flat so I’ll have another go at that later.

The reason I went for photoshop rendering was, as I said in my other post I’m not happy with my sketching/rendering so felt I needed the practice, I also haven’t chosen a design for the product. Once I choose a design I will build it in a 3D package for the final renderings. I’ve been told the Rhino would be most suitable, I have experience with I-deas, Solidworks and 3DS Max and am currently learning Rhino, I’d be interested to hear anyone’s recommendations.

I’ll probably use the file to rapid prototype a negative form as a mould for a model, although I haven’t decided on how I’m going to construct the model yet. I have a working functional model so I’ll probably only be looking to make a non-working model that looks like the final product although I would like to make it out of reasonably similar materials.

Anyway here’s my updated rendering. Any better?

Cheers,
Ed

How did you do your linework? The bottom frame has major inconsistancies, the one on the right has an almost consistant thickness as the corresponding area that goes to the nose, but the one on the left has a nice healthy bulge (different than the right side). Is this intentional? If you cleaned up your lines in IL or if you did already, try cutting it in half and mirroring the other side for the parts that should be symmetrical. Taking a little time to make the linework just right will help a lot with selling any realism. Or if you’re going more for the rough sketch rendering type, than keep it rougher with stragglies, etc. It looks like you want to lean toward the cleaner side but you’re kind of floating in the middle right now. Still good for a first attempt though. It’ll come easier with every new one. Good luck.

nice job! that was fast…much better! how do you feel about it.

i took a pass at the backgound and put in a new lens background to show you what I would do to take the rendering to the next step. Bassicly I just selected your lens, contracted that selection, and then brightened your lens, giving it the impression of foam behind there (I went a little too far, but you get the point). Then I selected a reflection area and hit it with dodge and burn, added some shadow to the nose foam and put in a new background that mimicks your light source.

I think the nose bridge needs more definition.

also, the design looks better, but that camera needs to be worked in more. The weir dip below the black camera lens pinches it, why not put the camera lens behind the goggle lense to protect it? You could probably move whateever is in that box shape to the strap, or minitaturize/stylize it.

Keep up the good work.

^yo

also, most goggles will have vents on the lens to prevent fogging.

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the help. The box at the top is a lens cover which also clears away the build up of snow from the camera when it’s closed and also operates as the on/off switch for the system. However I’m worried about the build of snow in the runners for the cover so am looking into putting the camera behind a flush mounted transparent piece and the user will just push snow away. I don’t particularly want to put the camera behind the lens as then the camera will be affected by the lens tint unless I manufacture in a transparent piece but this would mean I couldn’t use a standard lens material.

Skinny - I see your point about the uneven line work, I’ll keep it in mind for future renderings, thanks.

As for the air vents, I know that Oakley and Dragon seem keen on front vents whereas other manufactures like Scott and Carrera aren’t. Not sure why (maybe dependent on their lens manufacturers?) However due to the camera there will be less room for top vents in my design so I might need them, I’ll look into it.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I’m going to have a go at rendering up another concept now so I’ll post it once it’s done.

Cheers,
Ed

I’ve had a go at a second render. I’ve put in a flush mount camera so I don’t need a lens cover.

What do you think? Is it any better in terms of rendering? design?

Cheers,
Ed

Much much better… styling, proportions, rendering, etc. Good job.

agreed, much better Ed. How do you feel about it?

Hi, thanks for the comments.

Yo -

Rendering - I’m certainly happier with the rendering than my first attempt, it’s amazing what a few helpful comments for you experienced guys can do however I still think it can be vastly improved but I’m not sure what to do to take it up a notch. Any comments would be apprciated, don’t worry about being harsh any crit welcome.

Design - I’m still not sure of the design. I think ommitting the lens cover improves looks and will improve durability, but I will have to find a material I can manufacture with a coloured part with a flush mounted transulant center that won’t fog. I’m also having trouble sourcing a suitable CCD array. I know they’re out there but manufacturers aren’t particularly keen to spend time with a student who probably isn’t going to buy any so I’m having difficulty finalising the camera housing. I also need to get a move on and get the control unit and button parts designed.

Thanks for all the help so far