how many?????????

afternoon

when your sending a small project to a company, is there a rule of thumb as to how many concepts you should show for that project and how well presented they should be, i.e thumbnails (quite fast and rough)?

the reason i ask is because the idea and shape of the product for a project i just finished came almost instantly so i didnt want to change it as i like it. This means my concept sketches show only very slight variations on the same theme (i.e placement of features and functions) and i have only included 8 of them for my A4 board. The rest is then CAD abd photoshop stuff.

Is this enough and will it look ok??? Why do entirely different concepts if the first idea for the form is the one you like the most??

How do you know you like the first idea the most if you only dod variations on a single idea?

Portfolios are about balance. If you don’t have many sketches on that project, then really show process on another project. You also need to know when to edit. Only show the best, remember you are trying to make someone feel confident that they can pay you to do a job.

cheers yo, but this is not for a portfolio, just one project that im sending so if you could add anything else that would be great

my bad I didn’t read carefully enough.

Then I would say it depends on your relationship with the client. I like to include some varried concepts to primarily CYA (cover your ass, in case they hate the one you like) and to make the client feel like they got a good value for their money.

This a paid gig?

I always like my first concept but never as much as my 10th or 20th, that exploration is where it’s at. but that depends on how much this client is willing to spend I guess. if it’s good enough for him, that’s good, but you could have done better with more exploration, this is always the case IMO. :smiley:

Hi yo

this is a project i did to get a work placement. Not paid for this project but placement is. i spoke over the phone with company and they just want to see how i put a small project together. They especially want someone how knows solidworks well. Its that clock project youve seen before.

Heres the whole thing so you can see what i mean about the concepts (im not the best sketcher!!..yet). 3 boards.

board 1 concepts

board 2 main presentation

board 3 exploded view

nice rendering, you used solidworks to build, did you also use photoworks for the rendering? if so what material did you use for the floor, decent shadow/reflection, and nice white outside

hi copy boy

the rendering was done on solidworks 2005, photoworks version 2. i set a spherical room with porcelain as the floor. all materials were set at constant and i used indirect illumination and caustics with only 2 lights set very low

cool I’ll have to try that, the indirect lighting is really helping you here, can you ellaborate? are you bouncing the lights off the walls, or were they point lights? what did you mean by spherical room?. I think photoworks is great, I’ve been using solidworks and photoworks for a few years now (you can see my work at www.coroflot.com/copyboy

Are you trying to get a job as a CAD operator? if so the presntation is fine, but if you want to be more of a designer with this co. you should do some more sketches, you could have them there as support in a separate sketchbook, the co. doesn’t have to know you did them after the fact. Just try to explore more next time.

final looks great though, I’d buy it over the one I have now.

Nice work cb - good layouts.

thanks YO!

thant’s funny :smiley:

keep working on that sketching! Keep it loose, contrasty, and think while you draw.

copyboy

ive sent a good lighting tutorial pdf to your email i got from corflot, explains all about setting up environments and indirect illumination. have fun. by the way, very nice work man, love it.
ive only been using solidworks since september 04 but i think its amazing and im learning fast, doing pro-e now aswell which is alot more fussy :smiley:

check out www.bxhdesigns.com for some amazing examples of what can be achieved with solidworks 2005 SPO using indirect illumination. The guy kicks ass!!!

PS. im doing more sketching as we speak and im gonna include a load more before i send it off

good, good luck :smiley:

thanks for the tutorial, I’ll cheack it out.

YO, not to get off subject, but I lost my e-mail with the link to the image posting website I was using. It’s the one with the frog as their logo, I got it from one of your previous posts, do you remember the address?

:smiley: ehh, nevermind, image shack I got it not

guerilla, here’s something I did last weekend, I was trying to show my graphic designer of a girlfreind the magic of CAD for packaging design (so much faster than illustrator, for presentation) don’t mind the stretched decal, it was a test, we didn’t have the correct graphics.

shit hot mate, i like it. how do you get the images on like that???

this was just a decal map. really it didn’t work well with the shape (need to adjust the graphic file, it’s like trying to wrap a sticker around a cone, only harder since this is more complex, probably cake for a vetrain package designer). I’m sure you know how to paste a decal, the rest is just screwing with the illumination of the decal, similar to you materials, only instead of constant I used (use underlying material), but try different settings, some work better than others depending on the lighting. looks like you did it for your allarm clock, or was that photoshopped in?

yeh, i made the led in photoshop using gausien blurs and stuff, ive never used decals yet but i know what they are.

ill tell u what, pay for a ticket to florida for me and ill show u! the whethers shit in england and so are the women!!!

you gotta learn about the decals. photoshop is a waste of time for this, with a decal, you have it in any view you want. Mess around with decals, I’ll tell you this much, the artwork must be a bmp. file (from photoshop, must be in RGB mode) the most challenging part is alligning the decal. select the surface and view normal to it then new decal. good luck. :smiley:

shitty women? harry arm pit style :frowning: