iPad Pro + Pencil + Procreate

I’ll just throw in my 2 cents. I have an i7 Surface Pro 3. I run Solidworks, Rhino, SketchBook Pro, and Adobe CC. Works great with one exception – the pen tip is too slick to sketch well. I have tried the Pro 4 and I know the new pen has changeable, different durometer, tips to get better feel. My wife has an iPad Pro, it’s a beautiful gadget but you can’t get any real work done unless all you want to do is sketch and even then I don’t think it’s better than the Surface Pro 4. Plus it has a kickstand, can be connected to monitor, a mouse, and you can add additional storage.

Can we keep the thread on topic, please? Pretty sure there are enough other threads on Windows machines and CAD.

Here’s a few sketches recently on the iPad. Loving the Procreate App so far! have yet to try the latest version of Sketchbook mobile.

R

Nice sketches! I’m considering purchasing an iPad as well and trying to decide between the two sizes. How do you like the 12.9 size? I tend to carry a smaller sketchbook around, so the 10 inch one appeals to me, but wondering if that would feel too constrained.

I like the size. Don’t carry it around much, but doesn’t seem to be to huge. Like the old large black hardcover sketchbooks. More space seems good for easier sketches I think.

R

I like the bigger size (the original one). The screen is very close to the size of A4/Letter paper, which is an interesting design detail.
R, those sketches have so much energy! I used to use Procreate, but now that Sketchbook has the ellipse tool, I can’t go back. I like the Sketchbook UI more too. Easier access to brushes. Fewer taps to switch between pencil/eraser/airbrush.

What is the best way to get files on or off the iPad to use downstream on my workstation PC in the office?

This has always been to me one of the biggest issues I have working on the iPad. I’ve never found a way that felt as organic as saving a file on a standard computer does.

I either airdrop it to my laptop or save it on iCloud

I usually save either to my image roll (so it get automagically onto all my devices), or to dropbox. To dropbox makes it pretty much the same as saving a file on a computer as it ends up in my computer folder via dropbox.

R

@rkuchinsky
love your sketches - quick, loose, effective, confident… just how it should be, really nice!

You ended up getting the 2017 iPad, right? Do you feel the 120hz when sketching? Is it nice or not really noticable compared to a standard 60hz panel?

Thanks. Still working on the sketching… not always as loose and fast as the outcome may look :wink:

I got the latest. Hard to comment on the refresh since I didn’t do a direct comparison and came from a Intuos. I have no complaints about hardware though!

R

I use the first gen ipad pro, with Sketchbook, mostly (Procreate occasionally). As far as getting files out, I love using Slack. Sketchbook has a really nice share integration with Slack, and in seconds, I’ve shared the sketches with everyone on the team. Pretty nice.

glad i came across this thread #suchinformative, unaware i was using the older version of sketchbook that was discontinued…predictive stroke is on point! -#punlife!!-

I kinda feel like this predictive stroke just makes it easier for the layman and harder for the talented artist… The way things are progressing I worry that in future people with no talent or ability will be able to come up with great sketches because of software advancements. Anyone else worry about this?

No, tools are just tools. You can make a perfect note in autotune… someone who is terrible is still terrible. Making a great sketch of a bad design is still a bad sketch. Not understand form, materials, perspective, texture, manufacturing techniques, use cases, brand positioning… will result in bad designs. So, still not worried.

What he said.

R

maybe, #itbelikethatsometimes…if software advancements make great sketches easier hopefully that just means more great sketches which sounds like a good thing to me? sketches are just ways to communicate/translate/transmit ideas, so the bar just gets raised…

I’ll have to try transferring it using Dropbox. My iPad is the only iOS device I have now, so it will have to be a cross platform method (should have mentioned that first).

Thanks

I tried to use the predictive stroke on the desktop version of sketchbook and found it pretty useless to be honest.
Looks cool in promo videos, but doesn’t offer much value.
If you are sketching loosely by hand you usually want that “handsketched” look. Perfectly straight lines and ellipses totally destroy that.
If you want to render something out very precisely predictive stroke just isn’t accurate enough and changes your original lines quite a lot. It is wicked hard to place that perfect line and ellipse in the EXACT location you want and you end up with a lot of undo and then trying it again. In the end I found the ellipse ruler just the more controlled, precise and ultimately faster option.
I would be happy to hear of someone who found it useful. Maybe he or she can share their use of predictive stroke here and it turns out I was just doing it wrong!

Or they could just relaunch Sketchbook Designer or add those features into the main program so we can move elipses around and alter them after drawing them.

don’t quite have enough mileage’s with it yet, but while predictive stroke does change the original stroke, sometimes quite drastically, i do think it is useful if you are the type that uses loose sketches as underlays for a cleaner/more polished sketch. messing with the strength of the predictive stroke tool can dial back how much it will alter the line, and i think it can be helpful to get me to use more confident, gestural, longer strokes rather shorter chicken scratch type lines that i tend to use…basically i have found the tool works better on longer simpler strokes