Looking For Feedback

I think it would help if you were scanning or at the very least cleaning up these sketches in photoshop. I’m happy to invest time in giving feedback, but I expect you to invest time in making the work presentable.

Hey Sumi,

Glad to see you posting on here, I remember on my post Quinn H. said he always improved the most by sketching during the breaks and intersessions between semesters and I felt the same way!

You’re showing a lot of potential and improvement already in a short time! I think what’s going to take you to the next level (and get you some better feedback) is to aim for a bit more in quantity. I felt I got the most out of posting when I could share 10-30 pages worth of sketches at a time and get a full critique of that “session”.

It helps to keep the topics similar, like in school assignments so if you do 10-15 pages of computer mice then 10-15 pages of another topic, that we you can learn the products and we can see over many sketches what are the most apparent things you can improve on! I also recommend posting your drawing class assignments on here to get another set of eyes on them! I typically scanned everything Sunday and tried to post my accumulation every Monday (do what works best for you!).

I hope that helps, keep going!

Hi Sumistha,

You are sort of doing 2 things here - exploring designs through sketching and presentation rendering.
With your sketch explorations you were getting ahead and the bottle sketches are quite good, now focus on sketching more dynamically allowing you to create these efficiently while still communicating all the subtleties of the design.

With your presentation renderings I was trying to convey something very subtle - adding warm and cold tones in the product to give it more depth and realism.

I cannot find a great example at the moment but for example compare these two:

A quite good render, but a bit dull.

Note the subtle shading in the product surfaces reflecting colored areas in the environment. It adds much more life to the image.

These classic automotive tutorials are also great in showing what warm-cold contrast can do:

I think apart from the drop shadow your last headphone sketch was the best one.

Hey Aaron,

Good to hear from you. Indeed I was confused about how the thread works. I definitely see that I am little all over the places. This morning I was going through your design school journey here in core77 - it’s pretty impressive and I know the volume you are talking about.

Please give your inputs whenever possible.

Hi Yo, I definitely value your time and feedback. I am working on my sketches and will be posting them in a day or two in a more presentable format.

Thank You

Hi,

Thanks for the examples. I will try this headphone rendering once again and may do it digital this time.

I went through the pdf link quickly and will be reading it thoroughly this weekend. Thanks for the pointer.

So I took @apowers advise and henceforth will be posting in volume to get full critic on a particular subject. In the last 4 days I sketched a bunch of cameras and realized that when we sketch the same product again and again we start to comprehend the product.

Looks like the last two pages which I scanned in Fedex (and paid hefty price for :frowning: ) because of the large paper size didn’t come out good. So took some photos with my phone just to present a little better version of my sketches but phone also didn’t do a good job. However, next week school is opening so hopefully will be able to post better images.

You are showing some very nice sketches here.
For me, the 1st sketch of your 1st and 3rd latest post are the best ones.
Thanks for scanning, too. Investing in a printer + ADF scanner is no luxury.
I like how some of the ellipses are slightly off - it brings a cartoonesque quality, however for product design sketches I prefer them to be as accurate as possible. If you struggle, go back to drawing or visualizing a circumscribed square and the axes in perspective first.
Your linework is good. I am starting to see more consistency and style. You can still work on materials, colors and shading and it is a good step that you started developing more in-depth treating one product. See if you can do some research and make this a serious design exercise. You can focus for example on form and interaction of system cameras, which are slowly taking over the DSLR market but are still criticized of being too large and not user friendly in form factor.

So from this week my summer classes have started. Initially I thought I will be under pressure since we will be finishing 15 weeks of regular semester coursework within 7 weeks of condensed summer classes. But till now I’m having fun because its a form development class. Also trying to keep my daily sketching practice alive and will try to post twice a week. Happy working summer for me!!

Here are few of my power drill sketches, which I did in last one week. Also, pardon one of my scanned images as the shadow got cut. I did these sketches by looking at the products on the internet. And the last sketch I did on my own after looking at several hand drills on the net.

I would also be thankful if anybody can tell me how to upload more than three images under one thread.

Hand drill 4,5, and 6

Hand drill 7,8, and 9

Hand drill 10

So I drew mostly Iron boxes in the last 4 days. Still not able to directly sketch with prisma pencil or ball pen. I am using HB pencil for underlay then darkening the lines with either prisma pencil or ball pen.

4, 5, and 6

and one page of vacuum cleaner

Some really nice improvement. I’d like to see you try to get a lot looser. How abstract can you make it and still have it read? As an example check out this sketch of a drill that my friend Todd Herlitz‎ did. Incredibly loose but it is still there.