Yo! 2017 sketch a day

I missed a couple of days due to some work travel this week.

Happy holidays everyone! Thanks for following along in here during the year!

A couple from Christmas Day

process vid on that watch

and for the speedster: Quick Take 72: Speedster - YouTube

playing a little catch up today

My wife and I went up to Idyllwild, CA today and it got me thinking about some mountaineer looking hiking boots. Siped rubber with a dual density midsole, a single piece toe/mudguard, perffed padded collar, and of course some woven laces, speed hooks, and a few 3m pops in the heel!

I’m finding it fun going back to digital after being analog for a big chunk of the year. I worked on an automotive project that had me sketching 100% digital for a month and that got me back into the swing of it. I think alternating is good, you end up bringing techniques both ways.

Quick one while listening to the Obama / Prince Harry BBC podcast

Just some thumbnails today

A big thank you to everyone that followed along throughout 2017 on my sketch a day project! Sometimes they were serious, sometimes silly, sometimes they were 90minutes, sometimes they took 5 minutes… but they were always fun. My Q1 is looking full right now, but I’ll do my best to turn them into a book by Q2! Thanks again. It has been a fun adventure.

Random thought, but if each sketch took on average about 45 minutes, then that is nearly 11.5 solid days of sketching… not including all the sketching I did for client work. A little bit everyday really adds up for all of you considering doing a similar project. It is a great way to put the hours in… now if I could translate that to going to the gym…

Someone needs to invent an app like Strava for sketching. Could pair with your smart watch and show you all the hours, and distance your hand moves and other random stats. Strava does a year end summary where they show you all your stats and make a little video of it. :slight_smile:

R

“The Quantified Self”… it is amazing how well most of respond to a little gamification! I know Advanced Design Sketching released a theme generator app, but adding this functionality could be great. Add video capture and share maybe?

Build it into Procreate app? Gamification certainly does work. Isn’t that the treadmill of likes/follows that also fuels the IG game?

In addition to Strava for activity I’ve recently started tracking with MyFitness pal (you can scan all or your food and enter weighed amounts and it tracks calories and macro nutrients vs. your exercise and calorie burning) and it’s amazing how easy it is to change behavior when you see a goal visualized and numbers put to it… or maybe I’m just too OCD.

R

Sorry for the lack of updates on this. Q1 was crazy busy, then we took a couple of weeks off, and now just getting back to this project. I’m hoping to complete it by the beginning of Q3 now… but I did put together a teaser video today :slight_smile:

This took longer to finish up than I expected. Thanks again to all of you who gave me feedback and encouragement throughout the year as I built this one sketch at a time. The book is now live on Amazon:

Congrats!

Thanks Richard!