Close

Re: Yo: sketch videos

Postby yo » May 31st, 2016, 4:14 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

mcpbowman wrote:Brilliant! Thanks for the upload Yo, you make it look so easy!

Using underlays is something that I tend not to do unless I'm working on an exploded sketch or something of that nature, but I can see it definitely helps to get the initial design down and then use overlays to finalise.

I'll have to make this more of a standard technique I think! :)

Definitely give it a shot. It takes the pressure off of having to think of everything in the same sketch. I find it really helpful.

Postby yo » May 31st, 2016, 10:20 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Sometimes when I just need to sketch, but I don't want to think to much about it, I draw what I call a "Hover Bubble". Just a cute little bubble of tech. They are a bit meditative. I always feel better after.

Postby IDAL » June 1st, 2016, 11:34 am

IDAL
step four
step four

Nice videos Mike, thanks for sharing! Nice beats too!
I really feel like sketching after watching a couple of those!

I'd love to see some perspectives of sneakers :D The bubble looks cool, I usually warm up with some 3/4 car/truck, just to play around with some ellipses and lines before getting my hands into something more serious.
Alejandro Lara

Observe
Explore
Create

Postby Sketchbook2 » June 4th, 2016, 6:05 pm

Sketchbook2

Hey Yo,

Loving this thread so far. Maybe we could see something like a leatherman or other multi tool (with a theme? Starfleet Army Knife anyone?). Anyways, do you think you could slow it down a bit when you get to the markering part? I'm looking to study your technique for laying down marker.

Thanks!

Postby yo » June 4th, 2016, 8:16 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

will do. Working on Alejandro's request now...

Postby yo » June 4th, 2016, 8:26 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

here is that sneaker sketch. I'll slow the next one down a bit. Maybe add some voice over.

This is a decent example of a light ideation level concept sketch of a hiking product. Ballpoint, sharpie,flair pen, prisma markers and white pencils. Original time on this was 24 minutes. This is a good example of a sketch level I would use to show ideas to other designers and developers. At this pace you can do 15-16 concepts in a day to really iterate around a central idea.

Postby IDAL » June 7th, 2016, 10:16 am

IDAL
step four
step four

Nice Mike! Thanks for making the video!
I'm looking forward to the next one :D

It's great to see someone like you taking the time to prepare them!

Cheers!
Alejandro Lara

Observe
Explore
Create

Postby yo » June 8th, 2016, 1:12 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

you are very welcome. They are fun to do. A little stressful too. I threw the lat two I was working on out, I just wasn't happy with them. But I wanted to publish one today.

A very random doodle today, but it is my birthday, so I'll sketch what I feel like! :-) I wanted to show how understanding a basic, like how to sketch a simple chrome ball, can lead to almost anywhere. In this case a spherical robot jumping with joy named the "Death Ball"... have fun out there. Not my best sketch, but kind of fun.

Postby Jboogie941 » June 8th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Jboogie941
step four
step four

yo wrote:you are very welcome. They are fun to do. A little stressful too. I threw the lat two I was working on out, I just wasn't happy with them. But I wanted to publish one today.

A very random doodle today, but it is my birthday, so I'll sketch what I feel like! :-) I wanted to show how understanding a basic, like how to sketch a simple chrome ball, can lead to almost anywhere. In this case a spherical robot jumping with joy named the "Death Ball"... have fun out there. Not my best sketch, but kind of fun.

Happy Birthday! :D

Postby KenoLeon » June 8th, 2016, 3:26 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Welcome to the right side of 40 !

What can you tell me about your paper holder, I normally use the back of drawing pads + white card stock , but I am always looking for a better drawing surface.

-K
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby yo » June 22nd, 2016, 5:18 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Keno, it is just a metal clipboard I bought at Staples. Really nice for keeping overlays in place or when rotating the paper.

Postby SophieHortonJones » June 23rd, 2016, 12:05 pm

SophieHortonJones
step three
step three

Definitely going to give the 'Hover Bubble' meditative sketch a go as a warmup next time! Love that idea!

Postby yo » June 23rd, 2016, 12:46 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Sophie. Everyone has there own version of a "Hover Bubble". I read that Freeman Thomas had a car that was his "default sketch". That default sketch became the Audi TT! :-)

Find something that you love to doodle and try pushing it to the next level. It is a fun exercise. Here is my latest hover bubble.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Postby yo » June 26th, 2016, 10:53 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Ok folks, I'm back. Sorry for the gap of a few weeks there. The time just flew by... but hopefully it will be worth your while. This is my first video with a voice over! So turn the sound on if you want to hear me walking through the sketch step by step.

Today I'm showing a simple concept sketch technique using just three drawing tools, a bic ballpoint pen, a sharpie, and a white prismacolor pencil. I use this technique on products that have a strong material contrast story. It really shows off part breaks well. The subject here is a men's razor. Give it a watch and let me know what you think. If you have any questions about what I did, or have any suggestions for future videos, just let me know below!

Postby gmay3able » June 27th, 2016, 10:00 am

gmay3able
step four
step four

Loving these videos Yo! Your voice over really helped to point out parts of your process that I wouldn't have taken away on my own. Thanks for doing these videos and sharing your process with us.

As a learner, seeing what you did with this 3 tool sketch process was really cool. I'm going to have to try this out and get some practice with the white pencil!

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to sketching