Yo: sketch videos

look forward to more of your work in 2017, yo!

to everyone else, i recommend watching this a .25 speed so you can look at the drawings a little longer. also, protip, if you pause the video you can use the period button to move forward frame by frame. comma button goes backwards by a frame.

I filmed the next 6 sketch demo videos in the core77 series I’ve been doing. Here is the next:

Why is sketching still important? I’m really excited to be able to share this short video piece I did for Hector Silva, who founded Advanced Design Sketching. In this video I talk why I think sketching still so important in today’s design world. there is also a bonus behind the scenes look at my home design studio … can you have a bonus at the beginning of something? This bonus is. If you have watched any of my previous videos you have seen the sketch surface on my desk. Today I zoom out to show you what you don’t see.

See more Advanced Design Sketching videos: Facebook

A new sketch demo went live on the c77 home page:
http://www.core77.com/posts/61654/Drawing-Cars-is-Hard—Heres-a-Way-to-Make-it-Slightly-Simpler

[ Deleted ]

Yes, we are all trying to be different… in exactly the same way :slight_smile: Thanks Keno, I think sketching can be a very powerful tool but only when coupled with thought.

a couple of what I am calling “quick take” videos:

The next episode:

In my last video I sketched one of the most complex products you can represent on paper, a car. Lets take it down a notch. In this episode I’ll be sketching a front load washing machine. I wanted to draw something rather geometric to show you a particular technique of sketching with drawing tools. My very first boss out of design school, Aaron Szymanski at Evo Design, had this amazing technique where he could draw with straight edges and ellipse guides but still keep the sketch light and airy, not too tight. The way he showed me that he did this is by moving the drawing tool slightly as you go back and forth across your lines. This way the lines feel sketchier. So I’ve brought out my Rocky’s Modern Life ruler and an ellipse guide to show you how to work up a sketch with this method.

I’m very excited to be speaking at StrukturEvent during Design Week Portland on April 26th. I’ll be speaking about design leadership and what it takes to elevate design in the decision making process in a corporation… since the primary audience is outdoor designers, I couldn’t resist sketching up an liner for my softgoods Saturday Sketch. For those of you who don’t know, I’m trying to post a sketch every single day of 2017 on my instagram account… it has been a challenge some days, but they are starting to add up! https://www.instagram.com/d2lo/

motorcycle demo:

new one went live today:

Awesome!

I always struggle with adding grain. Are those prismacolour markers? The fine tip they have makes the grain look a lot more legitimate than the thicker ones I’ve tried.

Thanks for this Yo, I’m definitely going to be using this next time I put some furniture concepts together :slight_smile:

Yes, those are prisma colors. Try working very lightly with your paper pressure. Just barely touch the paper.

Give it a shot. Tag me if you post on instagram or anything so I can check it out!

Trying out a new series called Tutorial Tuesday. Have a sketch you want me to overlay? Post it below.

an old one I forgot to publish :slight_smile: … sometimes I make several of these and hang onto them for core77’s front page.

Indicating chrome: Rendering chrome in a sketch can be intimidating. In this video I’ll show you a quick and easy technique to indicate chrome effectively in your design sketches using Prismacolor Markers and a Sharpie… drawing a chrome Sharpie with a Sharpie is pretty meta.

Usually I take a sketch or design that a viewer submits, or ask one of you in the forums, and do an overlay or two for my Tutorial Tuesday series. Today I decided to do something a little different. I recently saw that the US Postal Services asked a few American companies to submit prototypes for a new mail truck. It reminded me of a very similar project the UK did which had very different results. The UK proposal was quite stunning from a design perspective. I wanted to see if I could take the same hard points and package from one of the US proposals and make some design improvements that would make it feel friendly and a part of the 21st century. The US postal service tends to use a model for a decade or more, so lets develop a design that has some aesthetic longevity and would be visually pleasant driving around every neighborhood in the US… my apologies to the original designers, I’m sure there were many design constraints and parameters that led to the current prototype.

It has been a long time since I’ve posted a video with a voice over. I was going through some old files and I found this time lapse from 2017 that I never got around to editing:

Wow awesome sketch! Love the dynamic perspective. It’s great to see a video about using a reference underlay. I use photo underlays occasionally and I do always feel a bit guilty about it!

Thanks for checking it out Andy. As a commenter of Facebook said “If you don’t use the tools, someone else will and they’ll execute quicker, better, and more ideas”