Close

Apple iPad Pro and Pencil

Postby Optic Lingo » September 10th, 2015, 7:01 am

Optic Lingo
step one
step one

The Apple iPad Pro and Pencil will be new option to use with Sketchbook.

[attachment=0]apple_pencil.0.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
apple_pencil.0.jpg
apple_pencil.0.jpg (116.65 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
Optic Lingo, Inc. | http://www.opticlingo.com | We Speak Design

Re: Apple iPad Pro and Pencil

Postby sonofscrotum » September 10th, 2015, 10:38 am

sonofscrotum
step three
step three

Who wants a stylus? :lol:

Postby Optic Lingo » September 10th, 2015, 11:06 am

Optic Lingo
step one
step one

Yes, Steve Job is spinning in his grave right now.
Attachments
IMG_0732.png
Optic Lingo, Inc. | http://www.opticlingo.com | We Speak Design

Postby gmay3able » September 10th, 2015, 11:35 am

gmay3able
step four
step four

Though it may not be comparable, I'd love to see what some Cintiq users think about these new announcements. I've never used a Cintiq but I've been using and iPad with Paper and Pencil by FiftyThree a bit and one thing I can see as an improvement is how sharp and firm the tip seems to be on the Apple Pencil. That accuracy is something I think I'd really like.

Postby KenoLeon » September 10th, 2015, 1:31 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

I am a late Apple adopter, I think the iphone is just about perfect and MacBooks are now de-evolving after reaching the zenith with the 13' macbook Air which I am happily typing on.

I just bought a .60 ct transparent ruler that does that amazing thing on the demo on the analog world and I've settled on the cheap bamboo's from wacom ( with the essential wireless option) for digital sketching; the issue that I mostly have is with the ergonomics of drawing on a shinny screen vs tablet and screen combo, once you develop the motor skills, I find it less painful and more versatile, there is also the texture feedback on the drawing surface that I find reassuring, yet both are still second to pen and paper (plus cellphone for capturing & tweaking now) .

Like anything, it's a matter of what you find more comfortable, your disposable moneys, etc.

- Beautiful stylus and can't wait to test it at the Apple store though :)

-K
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby yo » September 10th, 2015, 3:09 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

looking forward to trying it. I drifted back to analog sketching so maybe this will get me back.

MD

Postby Mrog » September 10th, 2015, 3:26 pm

Mrog
step three
step three

Is it just me or does the pen look incredibly unrefined for an Apple product? The glossy white plastic with all that chrome stuff going on... almost a bit "2013 Samsung"-esque. Especially when you compare it to the fine tipped, solid metal pen of the surface pro.

Well I guess we have to wait and see/try. Apple products have a history in looking and feeling MUCH better than you would think from their renderings.

Postby yo » September 10th, 2015, 3:59 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

dang, burn! I actually wish it was just glossy white with no details. But maybe the chrome bits will be real metal and will change my mind in person.

Postby engelhjs » September 10th, 2015, 5:35 pm

engelhjs
step four
step four

The form of the pencil was surprising to me for a couple of reasons. With the products like the Wacom stylus, 53 Pencil, and Adobe Ink I'd become accustomed to styli being closer to the diameter of a sharpie or design marker than that of a pencil. It's understandable that Apple would choose a pencil form factor over those, but it's a lot more literal than I would have expected, too. The length and angle of the taper at the tip looks really close to that of your typical #2, not to mention the location of the metal ring. None of this is bad by any means, just not what would have come to mind if someone told me a week ago that they were releasing a stylus.
Jeff Engelhardt
Industrial Designer - Footwear & Softgoods
Giro Sport Design
Santa Cruz, CA
http://www.jeff-engelhardt.com

Postby DesignerInShanghai » September 10th, 2015, 10:14 pm

DesignerInShanghai
step one
step one

I'm looking forward to using this—if only as an alternative to Wacom.

I've used several Wacom tablets in the past, including 2 large Cintiqs. Each time I was super-excited about using them in the beginning, but the experience is just such a hassle—from the numerous cords, to the split/mirrored screen set up, to the table space taken up (along with the computer that I need to run it with). And unless I'm sketching all the time, I need to clear my desk before and after I use it; I can't just plop down at my sofa to sketch or bring the Cintiq out to get some coffee. Don't get me wrong, Cintiqs are GREAT for sit-down, professional-level work, but it's not great for spur-of-the-moment sketches when the inspiration comes or when I'm in the mood (again, unless you have the desk space to just leave it there). Long story short: my Cintiq is collecting dust and I still resort to my sketchbook and pens 99% of the time.

Design-wise, I think the Apple Pencil actually makes a lot of sense. It's a fine balance between "accessory" and "main tool". It's the iPad Pro's "highlight", like how the white earbuds were for the iPod. It's also a statement of trust in its significance and difference; a blend-in color like dark silver/black/gray would've made it even more like a "stylus", whose consumer impression can vary widely. I'm sure Apple wanted to distance itself from that.

Second, I don't think it's contrary to Steve Job's anti-stylus statement. Job's understanding of stylus at the time was that the stylus is passive, static, rigid, and almost too critical to the use of the accompanying smartphone for its own good. The iPad Pro can exist perfectly fine without the Pencil, but at the same time the Pencil can bring a whole new level of experience and interaction (if it lives up to its promise) for those specific users. The Pencil is more equivalent, in the technological realm, to the Wacom pens, and I think most people would agree that the Wacom pens are far superior to the "stylus" of a typical smartphone. But its thinness and overall similarity to a regular pencil would imply that Apple wants you to use it but not be overly precious about it. I think there's something to be said about how little the regular pencil has changed.

In any case, the near-zero latency and eye-to-hand accuracy of the Wacom pen is the best thing about it. If the iPad Pro and Pencil combination can come very close to it, I think they'll be a serious challenge to at least Wacom's entry products.

Postby pjbowers » September 11th, 2015, 9:10 am

pjbowers
step three
step three

Looks like (or I'm just hoping) that Apple's take on styli for designers will take the forgiving quality of digital and merge it with the ease/tactile familiarity of analog. When I saw that you can move rulers/guides at the same time as sketching I was sold. Gotta try it out!

Postby Cyberdemon » September 11th, 2015, 10:07 am

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Optic Lingo wrote:Yes, Steve Job is spinning in his grave right now.

The internet is really eating this one up, but to be fair - in 2007 when that announcement was made, touch screens were worthless and styli were required for interacting with elements like scroll bars and such which were all too narrow to use via touch.

I think Apple saw a good opportunity to attack the Surface Pro which was sitting above the iPad in terms of user group. This might actually be the device us designers have been craving in terms of a good digital sketching experience without the horrible overhead of Windows 8.

Postby Parts+ » September 12th, 2015, 5:49 am

Parts+

Looking forward to trying this one out in the flesh. Yet still have some doubts about the practical use, like not choosing for a full OS and charging the stylus looks like a huge breakage risk.

It also looks like they've chosen for N-trig digitizers. So I got my hopes up to see some of these features in the next Surface.

Postby NURB » September 12th, 2015, 9:14 pm

NURB

Nice points there, DesignerinShanghai. re: Stylus and Jobs. Very much agree with you.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby sam hagger » September 13th, 2015, 11:44 am

sam hagger
step four
step four

I think this, along with their new 3D touch technology, shows Apple at their best. That is, reinventing technologies that others or they have done previously, but with an incredible focus of thought and consideration into what and how to achieve.

Go to the Next Page

Return to sketching