Close

Re: Gmay3's Sketching Journey

Postby gmay3able » September 11th, 2015, 6:25 pm

gmay3able
step four
step four

KenoLeon wrote:In commemorating the ascent of this thread to the front page and gmay3able progress I give you.... The Gerry 2000 !

Keno this looks so awesome, I am honored! Yeah I can't believe it! How cool is that? If you didn't see I posted a comment at the bottom of the article thanking all of you for everything you've done to help me so far, I truly appreciate it. Here is the summary:

"Without all your support, I would surely still be posting a series of misshapen cubes, sad ellipses, and crooked lines. This journey is just beginning and I have a long way to go, but I couldn't be more excited and inspired for the road ahead. Thank you for that Core77!"

(On second thought, I am still posting misshapen cubes, sad ellipses, and crooked lines but maybe slightly less then in my first posts! :lol:)

I really like your ideas in this synth Keno, especially the single knob and touch sensitive mod/pitch wheels! It's also really helpful to see your construction grids and rendering. Thank you for sharing this!

Postby Mrog » September 11th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Mrog
step three
step three

Personally I think ellipse guides are nonsense. Especially at the beginning. They are crazy expensive for a few pieces of plastic. And acutally not all that useful if you are not doing a really tight, precise rendering.
I would suggest to start at ellipse basics again! All of yours seem off. The biggest mistake you make right now is, that you draw the ellipses closer to the "camera" wider and the ones further away tighter. Actually it is exactely the other way around. Do this: 1. Draw a box in (correct) perspective. 2. "fillet" the edges of those boxes until they are cylinders. 3. Observe the outcome and repeat - a thousand times.
Drawing just the axis and then throwing the ellipses on the axis freehand is something you should do once you really nail the neatly constructed cylinders. You really need to build up "the eye" first in order to get it right with this technique. I think it is too early for that.

I think in general you are trying to work too neatly. Personally I think at your current stage that is contra productive. The problem with neatly retracing a drawing that doesn't have a perfect perspective is that every flaw will be really really obvious. Plus it is a waste of time. Instead of putting lineweight and details on your drawing better draw the same thing three or four times. I would recommend to use something like a papermate flair and nothing else for now. It forces you to draw relatively big on your page and really commit your lines. Take it and start drawing really FAST. Fill pages and pages with boxes. Don't spend a lot of time thinking about them or correcting them. Just add one more... and one more. Don't spend more than a few seconds on each. Then put ellipses on those boxes. If you messed up... let it be, just go on. At this point the most important thing for you is to get in the mileage. Sketching faster also solves a lot of your problems. It adds a lot of life and dynamic to your sketches. Details get less important and even perspective can be off here and there if you generally get it right.

Postby FH13 » September 11th, 2015, 7:24 pm

FH13
step four
step four

Partially agree about the ellipses. I assumed Gerry would have some already. At some point you will make a "final" sketch concept and they will make your drawing look tight; but you do need the perspective basics nailed down first.
Mrog is correct. Go to the bookstore and find a good Perspective Drawing book and start doing those exercises. Without the correct foundation, you're drawings will always look wrong/off perspective.
You're getting a lot of advice on what you're showing so it will vary from person to person. Remember that it is not just sketching but Ideation, sketch quality, form generation, refinement, presentation, etc. It would be hard to cover all bases on a board.

Postby FH13 » September 11th, 2015, 7:34 pm

FH13
step four
step four

Postby gmay3able » September 11th, 2015, 9:14 pm

gmay3able
step four
step four

Thanks Mrog and FH13, I hear what you guys are saying and totally recognize and agree that my ellipses and perspective aren't anywhere near correct yet.

For some background, I have three books on design sketching but I'm not completely through any of them yet. I've only had them for about a month and a half. I'm kind of pulling from the same sections from each book to get 3 approaches on one subject. I've been having a lot of fun lately jumping into sketching a whole product and have learned a ton of different things (design sketching process, using underlays, lineweight, styling, ideation) by doing that. I think hopping back and forth between basics and more advanced things and is refreshing and necessary to understanding the whole picture. I'll put more time into working on those basics and will post my progress! I appreciate the exercise ideas and videos you guys sent so thanks again!

Postby gmay3able » September 12th, 2015, 5:54 pm

gmay3able
step four
step four

Here's are the first 100 fillet ellipse cylinders from Mrog's exercise.

First I drew the box. I was shooting for cubes but trying to change the vanishing points to rotate and change perspective. Next I found the center points for the top face and then the used the center points to divide the faces in to quadrants. Then I filleted from the center point of each divided line to the next to draw the ellipse in 4 separate motions. I repeated this process on the bottom face and then connected the ellipses to form a cylinder. Each one took about 30 seconds.

filletellipse1.png

filletellipse2.png

filletellipse3.png

Mrog, I found this exercise to be very helpful so thank you for suggesting it. Please let me know if I interpreted your exercise correctly. I'll continue to work on this exercise and will post my progress.

Postby gmay3able » September 13th, 2015, 6:37 pm

gmay3able
step four
step four

Here's some highlights from another 100 I did today. I had thought each one taken me about 30 seconds to do but I timed one today and it was took a minute per cylinder.

filletellipse4.png

filletellipse5.png

filletellipse6.png

Postby yo » September 13th, 2015, 7:16 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

a couple of things to spur you on.

A page of thoughts I had while on a plane yesterday.

Also, I highly recommend you get this book.
Attachments
IMG_4208.JPG
IMG_4259.JPG

Postby gmay3able » September 13th, 2015, 8:00 pm

gmay3able
step four
step four

Thanks Michael, those sketches look awesome! It's really cool to see the way you represent the materials and I love the designed control panel!

Random question, do you sketch on paper on the plane or sketch digitally? I'm going to be flying on Tuesday morning, so it should be a good chunk of time to work on some sketching. I've always sketched on the plane with my iPad in Paper by FiftyThree but haven't been on one since I started sketching on Paper by Mother Nature.

I actually have that one, and I'm still working through it.

Here's my current design book collection:
IMG_4118.JPG

Postby gmay3able » September 13th, 2015, 11:30 pm

gmay3able
step four
step four

Well, I thought of this concept while trying to fall asleep and almost waited until the morning to sketch it out but figured I'd scratch it out real quick! Its really rough and ugly, and I didn't sit down while sketching and only took about 5 mins. Apologies for that!

It's a bluetooth speaker that you can separate with a puzzle piece type interlocking mechanism, the thought being it would be universally understandable how to take apart and put back together. The reason for it to come apart is to let you carry around something compact but then space them out once you're ready to listen so you get an accurate stereo space for a better listening experience.

Also different configurations could include a subwoofer etc.

puzzlebluetooth1.png

Postby yo » September 14th, 2015, 6:40 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Great selection of books.

I just grab a stack of printer paper before the flight. Sometimes I sketch in my iPad but right now I'm on an analog kick.

Postby FH13 » September 14th, 2015, 1:02 pm

FH13
step four
step four

Good to see you're drawing. However, your cubes are still off perspective. Use vanishing points especially now that you are starting so that you get the foundation right. With time you'll be able to free hand them.
Get some tabloid size paper or tape your letter size paper to your desk and draw the vanishing points off the paper and do this exercise.

Postby gmay3able » September 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm

gmay3able
step four
step four

Ok thanks Michael, I'll bring some real deal paper for the flight and try that out! With a bit of luck, maybe I'll get the aisle seat for more shoulder freedom.

Thanks FH13! I'll give this exercise a shot. I don't have larger paper right now but will try it out in the meantime on 8.5 x 11". I'm about to leave for the week on vacation but will get some on amazon prime for when I get back!

I'll work on some quality airtime sketching and whenever I have a chance during vacation. Excuse the cell phone pictures in advance!

Postby gmay3able » September 15th, 2015, 7:19 pm

gmay3able
step four
step four

Here's a few from the plane!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Postby pjbowers » September 16th, 2015, 7:30 am

pjbowers
step three
step three

This is looking great Gerry! I've been impressed as I watch the progress.

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to sketching