Close

Re: Gmay3's Sketching Journey

Postby gmay3able » December 5th, 2015, 12:14 am

gmay3able
step four
step four

Here's a few digital sketches from my demo today. A gramophone and an really quick Xbox One. I definitely had some trouble communicating the gramophone horn/cone inner geometry, it's looking much thicker than I had intended. I think that may be because the inner ellipse hole is visible when maybe it should have been not visible and maybe I could have communicated the depth better with just contour lines.

Postby FH13 » December 5th, 2015, 2:58 pm

FH13
step four
step four

Cool, keep practicing. Yes, I think your brain wanted to see the hole therefore you included it in the drawing. I see you are using lines to communicate for which is good. Keep drawing through and you shouldn't have those kind of problems.

Postby gmay3able » December 11th, 2015, 7:57 am

gmay3able
step four
step four

FH13 wrote:Cool, keep practicing. Yes, I think your brain wanted to see the hole therefore you included it in the drawing. I see you are using lines to communicate for which is good. Keep drawing through and you shouldn't have those kind of problems.

Thanks FH13, I will! Yeah that makes sense, if I had drawn through the inside of the horn it would have lined up better.

Here's a concept watch sketch I've been working on for a few days. I think I might be getting too detailed but something about this one made me want to keep going and try to figure it out. Basically it's a watch that plays with the proportion and placement between the time and the date, making the time smaller. The date is bigger and separate to emphasize the date, I often look at my watch and don't even notice the date number. With this design, the date would be the first thing you'd see when checking it from under a sleeve. For some additional design challenges, I also wanted to try to see if all the time and date settings could be done with one finger instead of two and still use as much of a typical watch movement as I could.

Here's what I came up with so far, I'd be interested in hearing what you guys think! I'm hoping to put it on a strap next and spend a little more time figuring out how to sketch a functional strap.

Postby gmay3able » December 20th, 2015, 4:13 pm

gmay3able
step four
step four

Here are some recent digital and sketchbook sketches!

Since I last posted, pjbowers and I were able to meet up locally and talk about ID and do some sketching which was a ton of fun! Pb showed me some really fantastic sketching tips which I think have made a difference in my sketching this week! I wanted to give a huge thanks to Pb for taking the time to meet up and for sharing some of his sketching knowledge with me! Thanks Pb!

Postby pjbowers » December 23rd, 2015, 8:25 am

pjbowers
step three
step three

Happy to help Gerry!

These all look improved, so thats a good sign.

Shadows and perspective are still a little rough. For example. take a look at your Xbox controller...based on the highlights it looks like you have a light source on your right but then your shadow is mostly cast against the right of the controller. This is backwards and messes with the eye a bit. If possible, try to clean up the smudging effect your renderings have.

Keep improving over break!

Postby gmay3able » January 7th, 2016, 7:49 am

gmay3able
step four
step four

Happy New Year everyone, hope you all had a great holiday!

Pb, thanks for pointing out those errors, I see them now and I'll work on that!

Over the holidays I didn't get to sketch as much since I was working 0n this project. With that finished, I've started up sketching again in the new year.

Here are a few recent ones, some watch sketches exploring different ways to set the time and a camera sketch!

Postby gmay3able » January 13th, 2016, 7:44 am

gmay3able
step four
step four

Here's a sketch exploring more tactile compact digital camera zoom controls. This is the first time I'm using action arrows, do they look ok? Should they get a heavier outline?

Postby gmay3able » March 3rd, 2016, 9:23 am

gmay3able
step four
step four

Lately, I've been working on 3D skills which is why I've been light on sketching posts. Here's a few recent ones, more camera exploration and a little 2 point perspective.

Postby gmay3able » March 7th, 2016, 7:11 am

gmay3able
step four
step four

Here's another camera concept from this weekend, trying to really push the pop up flash.

Postby gmay3able » April 21st, 2016, 9:02 am

gmay3able
step four
step four

Hey guys, since I last posted I decided to pick up a Microsoft Surface Book for digital sketching and as a replacement to my aging laptop. I have been really digging in to Clip Studio Paint Pro (formerly Manga Studio 5) and been loving it. It's definitely been time consuming getting up to speed with the program but the benefits of digital sketching are clear!

Here's a loose coffee maker concept, if you have any tips or critiques I always appreciate them! Have a great day.

Postby Jboogie941 » April 21st, 2016, 1:28 pm

Jboogie941
step four
step four

Hi Gmay,
Try starting the sketch with an all grey base layer. Second, sketch your concept using black or dark grey. Third, using an airbrush tool lightly brush in your shadows using black and your highlights in white or light grey. Finally use your eraser tool to cut back your airbrush work. Hope that helps.
You can find tons of Youtube videos and tutorials on techniques.
Cheers...

Postby gmay3able » April 23rd, 2016, 2:14 pm

gmay3able
step four
step four

Thanks JBoogie, I will give your suggestions a try! Sketching the idea out first in grey is a great idea!

Postby gmay3able » May 13th, 2016, 2:27 pm

gmay3able
step four
step four

I've been practicing more digital sketching and did a concept for Yo's Dyson Hair Dryer Sketch Challenge a few days ago.

I wanted to show the close ups of the sketches and rendering to see if there are any places I could improve on since I made them smaller for the arranged final sketch. As always, thanks for taking a look!

Postby gmay3able » August 5th, 2016, 8:04 am

gmay3able
step four
step four

Since my daily sketching a few months ago I have been working on everything but sketching. Things like foam modeling, 3D modeling, working on my portfolio, and reading ID books. I sat down on Monday and tried sketching a cylinder with prismacolor pencil and was so frustrated to see how far I'd slipped from when I was sketching every day.

Time to focus on sketching!

I'm setting my alarm back an hour every day and I'm jumping back into daily sketching with both feet. Looking back on this thread, the amount of progress I was able to make with all your help was so encouraging. Let's push it twice as far!

It's time to start. Welcome to Part II of the journey.

I'm going to start part II off by refining this truly stereo, two part bluetooth speaker concept I started on several months ago.

Here's what I had before this week:

Here are some developments I've been working on this week. My goal is to communicate the idea without needing a bunch of text describing it.

Thanks for taking a look! Critiques are always appreciated.
Last edited by gmay3able on August 5th, 2016, 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby gmay3able » August 8th, 2016, 6:43 am

gmay3able
step four
step four

I wanted to try working this two part bluetooth speaker concept into a few "scenes" to show some use cases for it. I haven't sketched a car interior or backpack before, but I wanted to show that the speaker's form is designed to fit in different types of cup holders so you can take it on the go.

I took a little more time to sketch the backpack since I wanted to try to follow the techniques from Yo's recent backpack sketching tutorial video, it was a lot of fun to try!

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to sketching