Elihue Taylor 11_18006.jpg
Elihue Taylor IDS 214 Assignment 11_2__Page_3.jpg
Elihue Taylor IDS 214 Assignment 11_2__Page_4.jpg

Re: ET's weekly dose of sketch

Postby elihuet » November 25th, 2015, 6:54 pm

elihuet
step two
step two

more RAV4 stuff working on locking down the front details, and playing with wheel size

happy thanksgiving core77

any comments appreciated

Thanks!
Attachments
Elihue Taylor IDS 214 Assignment 11_1_Page_2.jpg
Elihue Taylor 11_18005.jpg
Elihue Taylor IDS 214 Assignment 11_2__Page_11.jpg

Postby KenoLeon » November 25th, 2015, 7:10 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Hi ET:

Love your work, I feel you could saturate and bump more the colors, just messing a bit with it on Photoshop:

saturation.jpg
saturation.jpg (86.21 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby elihuet » November 25th, 2015, 7:21 pm

elihuet
step two
step two

Hey Keno Leon

thanks....I completely agree, just curious how did you get that effect?

apart of our assignment for next week is rendering a view in Photoshop, I'm not the most confident or very time efficient when using Photoshop so i will take all the help i can get

Thank you for the feed back!

Postby KenoLeon » November 25th, 2015, 9:43 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

I am glad you like it, photoshop is a great complement for sketching (maybe too good) I basically go over the Image Adjustment Menu Items one by one and move the sliders until I get what I want,and keep the History panel open in case I need to back track.

In most cases starting with a scanned drawing I start with brightness and contrast, that's where the bulk of corrections are done, exposure, levels come next, Vibrance,Hue/Saturation and Color Balance are more drastic and change the colors of the original drawing, I don't like using Dodge and Burn ( for Highlights and Shading) on analog drawings because it takes away from figuring out these things on paper, but the idea is that you can add or supplement shading,shadows and highlights with them. ( I only used a little burn to mute the bottom front corner).

Like anything, practice makes you faster, I think I spend about a couple of minutes or so per sketch or photo - I've done 100's on a sitting for some projects, also any keyboard shortcut you can learn will make you faster.

If you get stuck, plenty of folks here use it, so they might also have their tricks and tips.

Cheers, and Happy T-day.

-K
Eugenio (Keno) Leon

Postby elihuet » December 2nd, 2015, 10:26 pm

elihuet
step two
step two

Ok so I tried messing around with adjustments on the scanned drawings in Photoshop ( I also have some other sketches that I have been meaning to scan that i will also try and practice more on), But i tried to follow your steps and tried to bump up the saturation

The last one is a render I did all in Photoshop it took a long time, but I had a lot of fun exploring different methods/effects and just everything that Photoshop has to offer

and thanks again Keno Leon for messing with the adjustments on the previous sketch, its cool to see someone else's finishing touches (so to speak) applied to a sketch ok mine
Attachments
Elihue Taylor IDS 214 Assignment 12_1_Page_3core77.jpg
Elihue Taylor IDS 214 Assignment 12_1_Page_2core77.jpg
Elihue Taylor IDS 214 Assignment 12__1 page4.jpg

Postby KenoLeon » December 3rd, 2015, 4:17 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Hi ET:

Love the Photoshop one, great start, my only suggestion would be to occlude the left front tire, that way it doesn't attract unneeded attention, according to my perspective it should also be a bit higher and more to the back, again, just a 1 minute outside point of view bit of polish, you are the one doing all the real work :) , but sometimes I think one can get too close to the drawing and loose perspective.

ETkickthe-tire.jpg
ETkickthe-tire.jpg (51.98 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
Eugenio (Keno) Leon

Postby yo » December 3rd, 2015, 8:12 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Good stuff. I think you can get a lot looser and more dramatic. I get a very stiff feeling from them.

Try opening your perspectives up in light sketch form first. Get that down and then start iterating over that. Check this out. 15 minute sharpie sketch getting your design in a wider, more expressive perspective. Think of the difference between taking a picture of a car with the camera far away vs the camera much closer to the car. As the camera gets closer the perspective starts to really push.
Attachments
0490_001.jpg

Postby elihuet » December 7th, 2015, 12:50 am

elihuet
step two
step two

Attachments
tundra core77.jpg
tundra core 77 2.jpg
tundra core 77 3.jpg

Postby elihuet » December 7th, 2015, 12:54 am

elihuet
step two
step two

@ Keno Yeah I have been really struggling with wheels and the size of them and just how far up or down to put them...but thank you for pointing that out, i will change it and post an updated version soon

I tried to mess with the adjustments in Photoshop more as practice
Attachments
tundra core 77 4.jpg

Postby elihuet » December 7th, 2015, 1:05 am

elihuet
step two
step two

@ Yo, Yes I want my style to get loose, I think looser sketches look better to me....but for some reason its really hard to do it and maintain decent line work it starts looking scratchy and less smooth...but I will just have to practice being loose more. And I experimented with changing perspective also a bit making the side of the cars converge faster to give it more of an exaggerated look, I had fun with this I feel like it makes the car look less stagnant like it has (some motion or direction)

a page of thumbnails and a somewhat exaggerated BMW i suv quick sketch about (20min)

Thank you both for your comments....there greatly appreciated!!
Attachments
quick core 77 .jpg
quick core 77 1.jpg

Postby KenoLeon » December 8th, 2015, 7:15 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

but for some reason its really hard to do it and maintain decent line work it starts looking scratchy and less smooth

Scott Robertson has this amazing tip ( I affectionately call it the Scott Robertson Hustle) where you start with a spent grey marker and then do the line work, (could also use overlays or layers in digital) I am also a fan of starting with a curve line to add direction and dynamism.

For drama I think you can tweak the final composition in Photoshop till you get some emotion out of it, I just started sketching cars, but this is a few minutes using that process:

SRHustle001.jpg
There's a car in there somewhere.
SRHustle001.jpg (30.11 KiB) Viewed 2298 times

SRHustle002.jpg
Would probably overlay this a few times to get proportions right.
SRHustle002.jpg (67.89 KiB) Viewed 2298 times

SRHustle003.jpg
Forgot to add blue marker and has a ton of mistakes, let's hope I can distract them with all the blur and they won't notice :)
SRHustle003.jpg (51.66 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
Eugenio (Keno) Leon

Postby elihuet » December 9th, 2015, 9:13 pm

elihuet
step two
step two

Yeah nice... that's a fun method, I did a similar thing with my thumbnails...but I never thought of then bringing them into Photoshop to tweak it

I have one more week with this rav 4 and upcoming bmw designs,I want to try and incorporate looser feeling sketches with more movement to them, and I think this will help

trying to get the rear view to feel like it wraps, and experimenting on not rendering the wheels/rims all of the way (my attempt to give them a less up tight feel)....added color and some blur for the digital front, need to pump the contrast up and better/ more complex rims.....also if anyone could give me some tips about how to create an interesting background for my digital sketch (something more than just gradients im thinking) that would be much appreciated

Thanks again for the comments and knowledge, going to put it to good use for my finals!
Attachments
Elihue Taylor  IDS 214 Assignment 13_1_Page_3.jpg
Elihue Taylor  IDS 214 Assignment 13_1_Page_41.jpg

Postby elihuet » December 19th, 2015, 4:45 pm

elihuet
step two
step two

Attachments
Elihue Taylor IDS 214 Assignment 14_1_Page_2.jpg
Elihue Taylor IDS 214 Assignment 14_1_Page_3.jpg
Elihue Taylor IDS 214 Assignment 14_1_Page_9.jpg

Postby elihuet » December 19th, 2015, 4:53 pm

elihuet
step two
step two

finally done!!

I still feel like I need to get looser so that's what im going to really work on in the next coming weeks using more pen and marker now that the pressure is off

thanks again, happy holidays...more soon
Attachments
489491.jpg
BMW i suv1.jpg

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to sketching