old renders

modular headsets. two units for price/design of one. 1995 i think. they look really dated (and not well-resolved). project killed early in.

first two from ideation pass. second two part of round two and are same parts rotated… i think. last image one of many microphones.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Very nice sketches, full of details. You don’t see these nowadays.

Awesome job on detail. That der is some good rendering.

a perfect example of design. no one in the process can throw down the thinking sketches like this but designers.

hot sketches-YKH

they are very clean and I like how you handled the humans head and the headset, this really helped in seeing the devices proportion. I am wondering why you think these look dated and what parts you think look dated-you also say that you dont think they are resolved- I am wondering from you to explain and go deeper— why? maybe show where you think they are not resolved and where you would improve- i am just interested-

the stem to the mouth peice seems kind of thick? ( in third drawing) also maybe one thing i would like to see in the design is like for example in the second drwaing-the profile view-the cord coming from the ear location? could it have been cordless?? I am not sure if cordles was available or in budget for this project at that time-

also on the second there is apart of the design that extends to the temple or right near the face’s eyebrow-does this part put pressure there?? did it serve a function cool if it did… and that was how it stayed on-

nice work bro

“why you think these look dated and what parts you think look dated”

they feel 90’s to me. early walkman. sporty w/out sophistication. partly lack of skill. i was still green.

“you also say that you dont think they are resolved- I am wondering from you to explain and go deeper— why?”

i’m more evenly balance between engineer and designer now. these were more ID. there are manufacturing details i would solve now. mostly in how the parts fit. rearrange. mold. detail things.

“the stem to the mouth piece seems kind of thick?”

all covered in foam pad. yeah. just playing.

“could it have been cordless??”

thats pretty funny. not much wireless in '95. not in this price/size range. the wireless work i was doing used big parts from Aironet. that was cutting edge back then.

“does this part put pressure there?? did it serve a function cool if it did… and that was how it stayed on-”

yes. forget how it modularized. may not have. now i think it may have been top two that got us to the idea of one part set for two products. top has plug-design. second has reversible option look to it. 3 & 4 were one example of a synthesis. flip the side piece. same unit.

didnt think these were that interesting… but thanks. glad you guys like.

I graduated school in ‘98, and I remember seeing professionals’ portfolios that visited school as a student that was in that style and thinking, that’s the shit. Very Dick Powell “Design and Rendering Techniques”.

They may be a bit dated, but they are still very valid as far as an example of a style of communication.

agreed-

I like this style-fresh and not over done

YKH-thanks for response-just to think wireless is such a new thing-technology really moves so quickly that by a time a product has had much shelf life it is already out of date-

insane

more

super remote. no one liked my pork chops. saw similar concept in ID Mag ad (for RCA i think) couple years later. a little ahead of the curve. maybe still is. or just no good.

misc stuff. soap dispenser. models made of other designs. always liked this one. air compressor for contractor (put in street, paint couple houses). told to spice up look. i changed the tubes to cast parts. more hardwarish. dont know what happened to project. they did another project. still sells. far right is just new cover for commercial heating unit. this was picked. another designer did board layouts. company didnt pay. project died. would have been cool i think. the Batfurnace!

someone mentioned protective guarding. here’s one. big project. got fabricated. but i’d left before then. and design firm got in trouble pretending offsite CAD jocks were employees. unusual project. learned alot on it.

McDonalds, I’m lovin it. What are you rockin’ press type on those remotes! Yeah. I got to dig sdome oldies out now!

“press type”

of course.

WOW, rendering of white products. We were told that yellow and white forms are the hardest to render, and I think it’s true too.

Awesome renderings! Love the way you included the head/face to give it scale.