Let the Overlays Begin!

You double as a keychain mounted adult toy. BOOM. Post a sketch.

Finals week for my concept… Lets see what you guys can come up with! Feel free to design towards my objective in my personal thread or to however you’d like!

Apowers, can you gives us a refresher on the objective here? Love your sketch thread, but its a lot to go through. :slight_smile:

Edit
Found it! For everyone else:

Our major project in Transportation 1 is to choose a brand (I heavily persuaded my group to go with Hyundai) and either redesign or create a new line within the brand for the year 2021. The car’s price range is $15-25k, and the goal is to have an accurate tape drawing, and be able to draw the car in multiple views in the correct proportions.

Oops! Sorry, I was in a bit of a rush, didn’t mean to make it a task to find it!

It’s an autonomous MPV, The rear has open storage, rearfacing passengers in the front. The silver section of the sketch is an extruded clam-like section to ‘protect’ the passengers, and it’s in-hub motors so no worries of trying to fit a powertrain in the front. The bright green graphic on the side is a body side turn signal, and the green sections on my poorly drawing wheels are motion sensors.

And as far as the surface intersection in top view Michael’s overlay is a good representation.

Tried to organize some forms and threw some quick color. This might be an interesting one to put into perspective!

overlaying my shoes sketch? its a running shoes, nike presto was my reference. trying to get the right proportion.

Thank you :slight_smile:

fun

Awesome reinterpretation Thomas!!!

Thanks Michael :slight_smile: Always great to see your work here! It is always interesting when you sketch over someone else’s work. Something about going over someone else’s muscle memory. I have always liked brainstorm exercises where you pass your sketches off to the designer beside you to refine and reinterpret. You usually get a bunch of cool hybrid forms and ideas.

Wow! Both Sachin and Masterblaster, awesome interpretations! This is a really cool thread, I hope we can get it rolling!

Poetri, I did a quick sketch overlay of a print out of your original sketch. A few of the things I changed:

1. proportions: The throat opening was very narrow and high, it would be hard to get a foot in there. The toe box was very round and tall, making the shoe look puffy. One of the characteristics of Prestos is that they are unconstructed, so they collapse in a bit when no foot is in them.

2)outrigger. That triangle of rubber you have on the shoe, you’ll notice I made it much smaller. at the original size it would impede flexibility and possibly delaminate faster being in the flex zone. Prestos are all about being light and flexible, the predecessor of Nike Free. A big rubber piece is heavy and stiff, so minimizing elects like that is key.

1. lineweight. Bolder, stronger, more thick to thin to carry the eye through the sketch. Try using a Prismacolor pencil and really pressing on it for the dark heavy lines

2. functional color. Use color to show the different elements and materials in the design

boom

This should give you a firmer idea of what changed. Another thing to point out is that I increased the radius on a lot of the panels. Remember these are stitched soft materials. The sewing machines don’t like sharp corners, they need clearance to turn or the stitch has to be stopped and restarted which both takes more time and does not look as clean.

Michael, thanks for the underlay. It helps me a lot to understand the proportion better.
and all the list you mentioned, I’ll keep that it mind.

Again, Thank you :slight_smile:

I recently did these but I am having trouble rendering them, currently I am using Ps to render but as you can see there is a lot of room for improvement. I am open to any critique, techniques, tutorials any help I can get I’d really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Rosulo Donida III

When I was a student and a young designer I had some amazing instructors and bosses who took the time to really demonstrate to me how to best show an idea. I try to do the same for others. Below is a step by step overlay and the final output I did over a young designer’s sketch on Facebook to help show how to push the concept.

lol, that looks nice. great work :slight_smile:

bump… anyone want an overlay?

Thank you Michael, and that step-by-step guide is fantastic. I remember Colani also designed this way and is much better than any other ’ opening moves’ such as starting with perspective/box grids, shoulder lines or the wheels (why I can’t really work with the idrawcars sketch pad overlays)
I will post as soon as I find some time.