Cintiq 22HD

I was just upgraded to one of these puppies at work (completely out of the blue, but I’ll take it…??!), and I have to say that I am extremely underwhelmed.

Aside from the widescreen shape and light weight of this thing (much easier to move around when you’re sketching), the screen seems exactly the same to me as the old Cintiq I was working on (one of those old Cintiq 21 UX’s that must have been at least five years old) and I feel like the graininess of it is not going to be good for my eyes with extended use.

This thing is set up as my main screen, though I actually very much prefer to just stare at my 15" MBP because of this. It’s like night and day when switching looking at one or the other.

Anyone else have similar experiences/thoughts/disappointments? I would have imagined that they’d be able to improve the main interaction one has with these things (staring at its screen) over the past years but I guess not. I guess my point here is that if I were purchasing one of these with my own money, I’d think twice if I already owned the really old one I was using. It just doesn’t seem like that much of an improvement.

All this said, I freaking love sketching on these things… I love sketching with traditional media but you can do so much so quickly with a Cintiq. I can’t wait until they can get these displays to be as crisp as say, an ipad.

Just keep in mind high DPI screens are not common in larger formats right now. The 27" 2560x1440 format is as high as you’ll usually get these days.

The reality is Wacom and other companies don’t make their own panels. The switch to the 22HD I can guarantee was brought on by the end of life of their 21" panel.

In a few years when smaller format, high-dpi displays are available, then you’ll see a “retina” Cintiq. But also don’t be upset if it costs hundreds more.

I bought a 24HD this past summer upon my upcoming senior year. Definitely the best investment towards my future career hands down (most of my class went to Study Abroad in Rome over the summer, I bought a Cintiq!) and I don’t regret it a bit! I really struggled and was easily aggravated with digital drawing before I got a Cintiq (I know I’m odd… I didn’t know how to do any decent digital work until I got it) and I’ve definitely propelled myself. I had decided that I was going to focus my senior year on core fundamentals of sketching, rendering, modeling, and some solidworks instead of branching into metalworking, glass blowing, etc (though I’d love to know how to do it all, I know it’s not possible). I’m very glad I did spend so much time on it too, because the Cintiq has helped with rendering and sketching immensely!

More back on subject though… I sort of wish I hadn’t gotten the biggest one available (though I do love it!) because if I recall correctly the 21" rotated on a mechanical pivot? I’d very much prefer that over having to select a shortcut so long as it was easy/quick to do. That’s my only downside besides the fact that it’s huge and you need a massive desk for it.

What are you using for their shortcuts?

The smaller Cintiqs are easily mounted to an arm which is how I’ve been using mine for years.

The 24HD should work on an Ergotron MX arm, which eliminates the big bulky base, although the MX only rotates +/- 90 degrees so it’s not quite the same as the smaller Cintiqs you can spin into either orientation. Sketchbook and most tools have pretty good canvas-spin support these days, so it’s less of an issue than it used to be back when neither Photoshop or SB supported the functionality.

Ergotron MX arm

Thanks! Not the cheapest thing in the world but could be worse I suppose. That looks ideal for most setups. Unfortunately not for me just yet, as I drag in/out my cintiq each day from my locker as there’s no sort of building security (and it’s decently well-known to not leave things of value out) and it’s a PITA to do but gotta do it… I’ll definitely buy one of those arms when I get a more permanent location upon graduating :slight_smile:

Ah, didn’t realize you were leaving it in the studio. Yeah, that’s kind of a pain esp for something as big as the 24", that thing is a MONSTER!

Hopefully by the time you graduate they’ll have a better solution. The MX arm is OK, but not great. (Doesn’t go all the way down to the table, doesn’t rotate counter clockwise). They made some nice changes on their current LX arm but that one won’t support the weight of the 24" - works great on the 21/22" though.

[quote=“[dk]”]
I bought a 24HD this past summer upon my upcoming senior year. Definitely the best investment towards my future career hands down (most of my class went to Study Abroad in Rome over the summer, I bought a Cintiq!) and I don’t regret it a bit! I really struggled and was easily aggravated with digital drawing before I got a Cintiq (I know I’m odd… I didn’t know how to do any decent digital work until I got it) and I’ve definitely propelled myself. I had decided that I was going to focus my senior year on core fundamentals of sketching, rendering, modeling, and some solidworks instead of branching into metalworking, glass blowing, etc (though I’d love to know how to do it all, I know it’s not possible). I’m very glad I did spend so much time on it too, because the Cintiq has helped with rendering and sketching immensely!

More back on subject though… I sort of wish I hadn’t gotten the biggest one available (though I do love it!) because if I recall correctly the 21" rotated on a mechanical pivot? I’d very much prefer that over having to select a shortcut so long as it was easy/quick to do. That’s my only downside besides the fact that it’s huge and you need a massive desk for it.

What are you using for their shortcuts?
[/quote]

I don’t think that’s odd to struggle with digital drawing using any tablet other than a Cintiq (or one you can draw directly on)… when else does a person draw indirectly like that, not watching where they’re moving their hand? I had one of those tablets throughout school and it made certain things easier but the first time I used a Cintiq it was a completely new experience.

There seems to be a lot of hedging on the Cintiq 24"…weight seemingly the main problem.

If I am buying a Cintiq…do I invest the extra $600ish dollars in the 24" or go with the 21"/22?

I have a 24 and it is ungainly, but I love it. I’ve given my designers the choice between a 24 and a 22, most of them pick the 24, then switch to a 22…

We had the option in my office as well. When my colleague got his 24 delivered I quickly changed my purchase to the 22HD. The 24 is gorgeous, but too cumbersome. I still like to sketch on paper too and it would have taken up most of my desk space. Plus the 22 can still pivot and rotate which is a plus in my book.

We also just updated from the first gen 21" (full glass front) to the 24"HD. It is a beast.
I do miss the ergotron arm and the ability to work in the portrait orientation, especially considering we do mostly drink ware.
But the dust and blemishes captured behind the glass of the 7 year old model was becoming distracting, so I’m adapting well. :slight_smile: