Opinions Needed for Research in Sketching

Dear Designers,

I am a senior majoring in Industrial Design in the School of Architecture & Design at Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University and I am currently investigating how industrial designers approach sketching in various situations as well as how sketching influences their product development processes.

I am examining design faculty, professionals, and students internationally in order to understand these issues. In respect to IRB requirements, responses will be collected using an online survey to protect your identity. By completing this survey you are consenting to your responses being utilized for the completion of the project. The survey can be found at the following address:

https://survey.vt.edu/survey/entry.jsp?id=1309920462356

I intend to review and analyze the responses, which will then be applied to my research; that focuses on approaches, effectiveness, and influences of sketching in industrial design. With this in mind, if you feel compelled to share this email with your colleagues, please do so. The more responses I receive, the more insight my research will reveal. I am asking that you send your reply no later than 5 p.m. on Wednesday, July 20th, 2011.

Please take note that your responses will remain anonymous. I am merely concerned with the substance of your response and the level in which you are currently engaged with design, not your name specifically. If you care to be informed of when/how your responses are used in my research, please make a note to that effect in your reply. The development of this research may result in eventual publication.

Again, I thank you for your time and willingness to support my research. I await your replies.

Sincerely,

Bryan Keith Dandridge