Love sketching...would love advice

Also loving projectors right now :slight_smile:

Exercise exercise and exercise and then exercise some more :wink:

You’ve already did some nice improvement. But in my humble opinion you treat your drawings to much as drawings…and not as mere visualizations of what could be product(ideas). I want to see you explore ideas and shapes and not focus entirely on the sketch itself. The sketch is a tool not a goal.

So just keep on swimming :wink:

Grtz

T

Thanks Atohms. I just want to make sure i understand what your asking. Do you want to see more form exploration? HOw do i make them seem more like visualizations? Can you post an example?

Im sorry i have not been posting frequently but i have been sketching…a lot. To better help my sketching purpose and form development skills i have started my own personal project.

I have given myself two weeks to go through the research, concept development and have a final Solidworks render. My prompt is to design desktop speakers for college students that get their influence from Nature and Biology. Here are some of my sketches from that project.

Any advice would be wicked,

Cheers!

Here are the starting orthographic views:

moving into some perspective sketches to understand components and complete shape better

Went back to some more orthographic views after a trend study and some more research

Moving into some perspective rendering with marker to understand materiality and overall form.

So this is where i am after the first week, Let me know what you think i can improve on!

Cheers.

sketches are a means to an end not a goal itself. In the end you ideas need to become a product. The sketches are there to help you communicate your ideas. Off course being great at sketching will help you get your ideas sold.
And for an example I’d like to refer to this tread:

There’s different kind of sketches. But designer should be great at ideation and explorative sketches. Because that’s where the magic happens.

keep up the good work.

T

@ Atohms

Thanks for the insights!

Ill keep this in mind when im practicing as well as carrying out my speaker project. I appreciate you taking the time to help me with all of this.

I also browsed through your coroflot and really enjoyed the way you set up your sketch pages. Are those all done on the same piece of paper or separately and then laid out?

cheers

I start sketching on A3’s a (lot of them : ), and do not want to be reclined by layout or composition…I revisit ideas all the time and get new ones while doing that. I scan all of them and then cluster them…so the themes are more obvious and more readable to my client. So yes there’s lay-out involved for sake of clarity…Hope this helps

@ Atohms

Yes that helps a lot, i guess its just good to keep consistent in your style as you go through the project so that it can come together better holistically. Ive had the issue of using different utensils and styles throughout my process, making it hard to cluster them the way you have. I appreciate all the advice!

cheers

Hey everyone,

I know i have been MIA for a while but the projects were piling up and things got pretty tight. Even though i haven’t been posting I’m always sketching and here are a few of my favorites from the past few weeks.

The first two are a continuation of my personal speaker project with biomimicry…

Advice is always welcome,

Cheers!

Some concepts for a workout furniture piece for the elderly

Sketchbook fever

Hey,

havent posted in a while but ive been trying to sketch with a blue pencil and im really liking the style but i would love to get anyone elses opinion on that. Here are a few samples from a recent project i did on redesigning a blood tube for disaster relief.

Cheers,

Ayan

I can definitely see you line confidence growing, make sure you really draw through those more complex intersections, like the great like detail on the round thing in the second sketch. The last sketch has nice contrast and variance in line thickness. Are you turning the page as you sketch? Do you do underlays and overlays?

Thanks for replying yo! I do turn the page but i never really do underlays. Its something i have to start doing consistently but find very hard to start adding to my routine. I’ll do that for the next round of sketches and see how they turn out.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by “draw through those more complex intersections, like the great like detail on the round thing in the second sketch.”

Cheers

autofill got me, I was trying to point to the “gear like” detail on that page… it doesn’t read like it was truly constructed in space.

I see what your saying. I think that’s also the result of moving to fast through the sketch and getting sloppy. Ill definitely focus on keeping the same patience throughout the sketch. Thanks for all the advice! Time to go work on it…

Cheers

Hey everyone,

I have been trying to post sketches for some time now and it is not working. They images are small jpegs. When i click “add the file” it just takes a long time to load and then nothing happens, it just refreshes the page. Please let me know if there is any way to fix this.

Cheers,

Ayan