Close

Postby New Pratt Kid » July 16th, 2005, 10:46 am

New Pratt Kid
step three
step three

Look at lots of comic book artists' sketches. How they created perspectives and line works. ID sketch is of course different form, but in art, drawings are all from basic knowledge and practice.
Also go get some books about classical artists’ books on their drawings. Follow their line and shading techniques.
Take classes at local art school on anatomy drawing to still life drawing. Products are for human, and if you don't know how our body structure is formed, rendering products stuffs are actually meaningless.
Books from Japanese artists and other International art magazines will be very helpful. I especially like Katsuya Terada who designs characters for games and comics.
Practice on large sketch book pad on an easel <cheap news print papers> to make hundredth of straight lines-horizontally, vertically and diagonally. Layer it as graph paper. You will at list spend sometime doing this for an hour each day. This will teach you to draw straight lines without using large straight rulers.

http://www.import-action.com/katsuyateradazenbusc1.htmlhttp://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y02Y0417476Y6987980/058-9686733-0922862
http://groups.msn.com/artofjimlee/gallery.msnw
http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/ow/7a97fccf46cf3573.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/sim-explorer/explore-items/-/0486225720/0/101/1/none/purchase/ref%3Dpd%5Fsxp%5Fr0/104-5780651-7973528

Postby eco.iD » October 7th, 2005, 11:56 am

eco.iD

I know this is an old post, but I bought this book back in school:

Drawing and Designing with Confidence : A Step-By-Step Guide by Mike W. Lin ISBN: 0-471-28390-8

Contents are:
1. Loose vs Tight
2. Principles of Good Graphics
3. Rendering Techniques
4. Rendering Types
5. Lettering
6. Entourage
7. Perspective Drawing
8. How to Sketch (small chapter, I wish there was more)
9. Design Process

I have found this book to helpful

Postby eco.iD » October 7th, 2005, 12:05 pm

eco.iD

P.S. Not that I have a wealth of knowledge or library of sketching, but I am surprised this thread hasn't grown larger than it has.

Postby eco.iD » October 10th, 2005, 11:59 am

eco.iD

After posting on friday I went out and did some research this weekend. I went to the main branch of the public library here in pittsburgh. I thought since it is right smack dab in the middle of U of Pitt and Carnegie Mellon U it would have some great books on sketching and etc... I browsed through the contents pretty thoroughly only to find one book "Speed Sketching" by William T. Lent. The books is pretty dated, 1978. I also went to Barnes & Noble and Half Priced Books. When I got back home I browsed the internet to find shit as well. Most books are based on drawing the human figure, landscapes, still life, etc.. I did more research here finding links to "The GNOMON Workshop". I am convinced sketching books are a thing of the past due to the fact that these DVD's can instruct the entire process with video + audio instead of a book's step-by-step images and text.

So to get to the point, which of these videos are best for product designers? Which releate more to us opposed to special FX, animators, architects, interior designers, etc... I just want to make sure I buy the correct videos without being able to preview them.

If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Postby eRik » November 10th, 2005, 9:14 am

eRik

This book is specificly made to cover industrial design sketches:
www.designsketching.com

Postby eco.iD » November 10th, 2005, 11:41 am

eco.iD

eRik,

Thanks for the link! I'll be ordering this one.

Postby Bbarn » November 10th, 2005, 11:50 am

Bbarn
step four
step four

posted on pdf by waikit ... I havent looked through it too much, but i thought it might be helpful to some

http://web.mit.edu/2.744/www/CourseInformation/ClassNotes.shtml

Postby lovenclinlin » February 7th, 2006, 1:54 pm

lovenclinlin

:D night DvD

New marker techniques by shimizu

Postby tiz » April 11th, 2006, 2:58 am

tiz

Hello,

Being an industrial design student, I've been reading through the boards on a regular basis and decided it was about time to register and be part of the action. So hi to all. On this topic:

From time to time there are people on the boards asking for books on sketching skills. An old post in this topic referred to "New marker techniques" by Shimizu and its unavailibility on for instance Amazon (even 2nd hand). Well, for those interested, i got a couple of unused, new copies lying around over here. I bought a couple a while ago in case any friends wanted them too, but it appeared they were not interested in enhancing their marker skills. So, let me know if you'd like to have the book. Just for your information, i'm not asking any of those ridiculously high prices that you see for shimizu books on amazon or ebay. (100+). I would also be interested in swapping them for any other shimizu book. Hope i can make someone happy over here.

Bye,

Tiz

Postby *sketcher* » May 18th, 2006, 8:10 am

*sketcher*
step two
step two

eRik wrote:This book is specificly made to cover industrial design sketches:
www.designsketching.com

We have this in the studio where I work, and it's fantastic! Loads of techniques and amazings sketches/renderings. It's a little on the pricey side, but well worth it!

Postby southpaw » June 24th, 2006, 4:58 am

southpaw
step one
step one

eRik wrote:This book is specificly made to cover industrial design sketches:
www.designsketching.com

A few guys have already said it, but this book has been a great reference to have!

Postby eco.iD » September 18th, 2006, 4:17 pm

eco.iD

I have tried opening the link for www.designsketching.com in safari, firefox and internet explorer and none of them work for some reason. Has anyone had any luck buying this book lately? I want to buy it now that I have the money to purchase it, but the link hasn't worked for the past three weeks that I have tried it. I can't find it on half.com, amazon, or barnes & noble. I would like a new copy so ebay is out of the question. Do any of you know what is going on with this website? Thanks in advance!

Postby sherp » September 19th, 2006, 4:50 pm

sherp

I have been wondering the same about the book on www.designsketching.com, as I also want to get a copy! Anyone know the deal with its availability?

Postby eco.iD » September 19th, 2006, 9:09 pm

eco.iD

I guess I never thought that the book might be sold out or on back order. The website would still work though. Please let us know.

Postby eRik » September 20th, 2006, 6:12 pm

eRik

We have some trouble with the web hosting the last few days and the webpage should be back within a day or two. Sorry about that.

edit: three weeks? sounds very strange. If you want one book you can always send apaypal payment of $55 (one soft cover book including shipping) to orders@designsketching.com without going through the webpage.

/Erik Olofsson

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to sketching