Sketch exploration.

very nice!!

Looks like someone should post a tutorial :wink:
a real quick one, c’mon for the comunity.

Thank you, great work.

Sounds good if you are interested.

I do products all of the time (freelance) in the same emotive style: phones, consumer electronics, housewares ect.

If core77 would be intrested in hosting a little tutorial page I could wip a few up. Perhaps a quick skech exploration demo, and a finished presentation concept sketch. I’ve done similar demos in person at RISD, CCAD, and the Portland Institute of Art. What do you say guys?

For me I think of it this way, everyone has ideas, the thing we can do is come up with GOOD ideas consistantly and visualize them. A good visual of a good idea is a lethal combo for a designer to have.

Yo - it would be really useful / interesting to see a step by step tutorial.

In the mean time can you let on how long they took you to do - both the final concept drawings and prior dev work?[/quote]

You must drew them really big then scan them in. Do you have a big size scanner?

Good question. Time breaks down something like this:

3-4 hours building up underlays of perspectives and different design themes, about 20 underlays for each rendering, so figure about 60 underlays, done quick in prisma pencil. 12"x14" graphics 360 paper

2-3 hours lining the final concepts, prisma pencil and sharpies.

8 hours rendering (2 hours each) in photo shop (Scanned in two pieces on a A4 sized scanner)

So for those 4 drawings a total time of 13 - 15 hours

Thanks Yo - that seems reasonable, I was gunna get worried if you said only a day i.e. 7.5 hours.

Looking forward to the tutorial.

Hi Yo,

Thanks a lot for the info about the material you used. 12x14, that’s not very big at all. BTW, what’s the size of the tablet you used? I am currently using a Wacom 6x8. I found out it’s limiting my arm movement.

About your designs, I kinda like the second one’s front, the brownish one. It as a mean face, kinda like Aston Martin. The side reminds me the 50s vetts. I like it.

I spot a dark silver Ferrari tonight, that thing is sweeeeet…

I use a 6x8 tablet as well…took me a long time to get used to it, but I got it as a gift so I can’t realy complain. What I really want is the new wacom monitor.

So Core77, what do you say about hosting a tutorial? I don’t have my own webspace.

I am down for doing a tutorial. I want to help out and be involved in anyway. I will try and find some way we could get webspace.

Hi Yo,

I know this is off the subject. I know you are an experienced designer. Do you know any book I can buy for material and processing?

Thanks a lot.

Happy to loan some of my webspace for a while to get things started.

productdesignforums.com has a section to post tuts. I think that everyone there would appreciate the help!

Thanks for the tip, I registered at PDF.com the other day “yo1”, but I haven’t had a chance to thoroughly check it out. I’m a bit swamped with work right now nut it could be something I can get to withinn the next few weeks. I also like that you can post a .jpeg on PDF.co without having it on the web, though I understand that server space makes that a huge undertaking.

Little surprised or friendlt core77 rep did’nt fire a response in here though.

I need to get a webpage up at some point. I’ve decided I want to have someone design and build it for me but I haven’t had a chance to start researching good cheap designers, any recomendations.

just wondering, is concept still really important for an awesome artwork?
:unamused:

I think it is a must that you do concept sketches. You need to brainstorm and do thumbnails atleast. if you jump straight to a final it is most likely not going to be your best. Plus many times through sketching you resolve many problems that you didn’t see before. do concepts, and your final artworks will improve, I promise.

put the extra hours in and you will see results.

Art work? Or design?

Both design and art work come from concepts. So perhaps you will want to be more specific on what you are asking.

of course … im really interested…

btw…im a newcomer here…hello evrybody…nice to meet all of u…
im form malaysia…a “creative” industrial desgner back in kl…but lacking confidence in my sketching skills…

so guess u guys can gimme a hand rite…?

again…nice to meet u ppl…
:smiley:

Nice to have you aboard…start posting…and joining in…im a new one too been around less then a month one of the best things i have done recently. post work sketches and am also trying to get better.