Close

Sketch exploration.

Postby yo » September 7th, 2004, 12:17 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

A series of concepts I just wrapped up for East Coast Design and Build Firm, GAC.

Postby skinny » September 7th, 2004, 1:36 pm

skinny
full self-realization
full self-realization

Is your linework by hand? Rendering looks like photoshop. Just wondering if you scan and color or do computer sketching like I think Alias has. Looks good.

Postby ML » September 7th, 2004, 1:51 pm

ML
step four
step four

I sketch right into photoshop, layer masking and transparancy locks work similar to the masks in SketchBook pro. Get a good wacom and the airbrush acessory and your good as gold. Spend at least 1 hour a day sketching and you will soon rock on it.

Postby yo » September 7th, 2004, 4:59 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I sketch'em by hand, I know the old way. I also lay all the black in with a sharpy (oh yeah)

I scan it in and delete the white. Render it useless in photoshop with a tablet.

Postby skinny » September 7th, 2004, 6:22 pm

skinny
full self-realization
full self-realization

That's what I figured. Keeping up with the freelance I see, they not keeping you busy over there?!

Postby yo » September 7th, 2004, 8:48 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

dude, I am over busy over here, 6 shoes that I'm supposed to do + 1 for the Jordan group on the side.

I just love design. Sides- extra doe for doing something I love anyway, it's hardly work. Though don't tell my wife.

Postby CD » September 8th, 2004, 9:23 pm

CD

dude, total ripoffs! look like the concepts I saw today at the GM presentation!

Kidding...

Did you drive the new corvette?, not too bad...

Hey YO

Postby Guest » September 8th, 2004, 11:44 pm

You are very talented. How did you get into Nike- did Jordan meet with you to design the shoes? Also, how come you are not pursuing car design?

Postby yo » September 9th, 2004, 10:27 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Very funny CD. I did drive the Vette Today, and the GTO, the CTS V, XLR, SSR, STS, Saab 9-2 and Saab 9-3.... I got there early. Very impressed with the Vette, GTO, SSR, and CTS V, but the XLR and STS where way to squishy, the 9-2 was a total joke, felt really underpowered and tinny, the Subaru running gear felt cheap, anf the key wasn't even in the center.... ahh only @ Nike. I also got an earful about the hydrogen fuel cell prototype they brought.

Why have I not pursued a job in trans, for multiple reasons it just never happened. I have a love for design in general, a respect for creativity in all forms, and a desire to raise the bar on whatever I work on, I think this translated as not having 'gasoline in my veins'. On the other side, designing shoes is fun, you get to get a whole lot of product out into the world (10-20 shoes a year) and by doing trans for fun and freelance, I get to keep it pure. I might be rationalizing here.

NIKE

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2004, 11:40 am

I guess you never have to buy your clothes and shoes then?Also, in the old days, Nike used to design shoes with the top front end (when looking over your shoes- the leather part) with an "m" shape like the Air Max from 4-5 years ago. Instead of just nothing on the shoe. Are you going to be incorporating that "m" leather thing in some of the new designs? It looks good and classic. Thanks

Postby molested_cow » September 9th, 2004, 5:12 pm

molested_cow
full self-realization
full self-realization

Are Air Jordans still being developed in Taiwan?

I know they used to be made in Taiwan, then shifted to China, but heard that a Taiwanese company still does the bulk of the development.

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2004, 6:23 pm

go to Foot Locker and see the label

Postby boFNjackson » September 10th, 2004, 11:36 pm

boFNjackson

looks great... some of the best car renderings I have ever seen. I hope they pay you a fortune for those designs.

It's nice to see some skill like this once in a while.

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2004, 2:05 pm

GAC allows you to show concepts like this?

Postby yo » September 11th, 2004, 2:17 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

They are for a press release, so in that case, yes. But production work is onthe DL of course. These will be on their website in a 'concept' gallery this week sometime.

It's a great little company with a nice facility in New York, that is planning on going public soon. But while it's still small and I'm friends with the owner, we have some fun doing little projects like this. He's a great guy who is super talented and has a passion for cars.

Go to the Next Page

Return to sketching