Andy's "Sketch-a-few times a week"

Salt and pepper grinders

Exploring cap forms for my Hypokit Injector project. It needs to communicate that it is the needle end of the device intended for injection into the patients leg, and not to push it like a button.

If Zakk Wylde made a watch

[ Deleted ]

Thanks Keno!

I didn’t actually know the backstory of the bullseye, so thanks for finding that, its cool to know why he went with it.

Monday morning bag scribbles

Exploring methods of administering medicine for the Hypokit project. I’ve sketched most of these before but it helps to get them out so I can think of other ways.

Andy, I’d love to see you work on something with more complex/organic form, like a jetski for example.

Hi Yo, thanks for the feedback. I agree, I do need to work on some complex sketches. I’m going to work on a helicopter.

Roughing out some details for it last night:

I’m not super pleased with the angle I sketched the last one. I think it needs to be more front with a more extreme perspective to communicate the size and shape properly. Time to refine it.

Curved plywood chairs

Andy, RE the helicopter, you might like this tutorial I recently;t posted on choosing the right perspective convey scale.

The perspective you chose, horizon line above the object and vanishing points far away from the center of the page, tells me that this is a small object. A larger object is going to have the horizon line much lower and the vanishing points closer together. Would you be cool with me doing an overlay of the design in a perspective that conveys the size? I’d love to use it as the basis for one of my “Tutorial Tuesday” videos. I would of course give you full credit for the original design.

Makes sense! I think I’m stuck in using the same perspective for everything.

You can absolutely use it. Keen to see the tutorial :smiley:

You are using some different horizon line positions on those chairs. Especially the second from the right in the upper right hand corner. Try aligning the horizon line with the bottom edge of the product and see where that takes you.

Funnily enough that was the chair I liked the most. I rendered it up yesterday to see how it would look with ply texture. I dropped the front lip because I don’t think the grain would let it bend around such a tight radius, although I do think it could do with some curved form on the front edge to be comfortable.

I’ll have to get some ply and find out.

Trying some new perspective on these squishy sofas

That looks like very tight bend radii. (I know, I know, this a thread about sketching)

It is a tight radius. To be honest I wasn’t thinking too much about the deeper process details of actually making it. I would be fine with the proportions even with a larger rad.

Maybe kerfing would let it bend far enough?

Andy, looks like it is just you and me in here contributing sketches right now! Keep it going!

Sorry I haven’t had a chance to do the helicopter video. The last few weeks have been super busy… a good problem to have.

No problem Yo, I really appreciate the effort to help myself and others with our sketching!

I’ve given each day a theme so that I actually stick to sketching. Sunday is vehicle day, which I have never really drawn before. Definitely need a lot more practice on complex forms. I’m going for quantity and speed over quality for these until I can get my eye in for the proportions and where lines should go. Loving using the sharpie to keep it loose! In order of sketching: