Yo! 2017 sketch a day

some demo sketches I did for my students today.

Very inspiring. Love the bike sketch! Love the others as well

thanks 250! On days I teach is helps me get ahead on my sketch count :slight_smile:

trying out a different style. When I first graduated from school in the 90s I would sketch almost exclusively with colored pencil (then marker on top)

one more sketch to close out the weekend. Sketch #336

Pencil demo for my students.

Playing with a different style

I like it!

Thanks man. Here is a play by play and one step further

the new Aston Martin Vantage has been a favorite topic of debate amongst designers and car aficionados. Some people love its more race inspired aesthetic, others feel it has perhaps lost some of its elegance. I decided it would be worth taking the design out for a spin myself.

In this video I use a technique I often use when ideating on client projects. Using a photo or previous sketch, I create a set of ellipses in perspective in Adobe Illustrator. I’ll then print out 20 of these so I can quickly generate a series of concepts in the same perspective without worrying about the wheels.

Cool technique. Definitely will try this.

As for the new AM Official Design, I’m definitely in the “too boy racer” camp…

R

Me too Richard. I’d rather have a used gen 1 Vantage any day… the interior is an even bigger miss for me.

New Ford something looks more like an Aston than an Aston these days…

I’ll take a DB5. Thanks.

R

Black, white, and blue chalk, with sharpie, ballpoint pen, and white pencil. It doesn’t get more old school than this Audi R8 sketch I did this morning.

analog Westaflia

A crappy chair sketch

starting to think more about the book layout, title, and dust jacket.

Today’s scrap paper sketch

I’m curious to know why you think your sketch-a-day work is of the quality to deserve a book – what has really has improved from January 1 until today to show a progression in quality or technique? I appreciate the willpower to keep this up but does it deserve distribution? The possibility that we can all self-publish doesn’t mean we should.

Always appreciate those words of encouragement. Thanks Dan!

An AM sketch before heading out for some client meetings.