UI Design for Fitness

Seems like the fitness industry would be an interesting industry to create really cool UI. I know someone who works there and it seems like it would be interesting. Has anyone seen this?

http://jobview.monster.com/User-Interface-Designer-Job-Vancouver-WA-136950878.aspx#.U8yRTQHAeVc.facebook

it is frowned upon posting the same info in multiple areas… seems like spamming even if legit.

Cleaned it up. Commence discussion…

Sorry, wasn’t sure where to post. Thanks NURB for the assist!

There are many interesting possibilities and imaginative aspects to blending exerciser and machine. I’m pretty sure that the design lead at Nautilus is a well-respected designer, but am not sure about the company overall. Looks like they are completely in the ‘home’ market and have pulled out of commercial entirely.

I can tell you about one or two of the challenges with UI design for fitness. Unless the company is investing in a complete display architecture they will probably run on a Microsoft platform or perhaps an Android platform. Fitness companies don’t generally understand ‘tech’ so hiring developers who can turn your UI into something that works with a big machine will be a constant challenge. I see the posting advertises for Agile/Scrum experience which is good. Cost constraints will also be a factor since general CE volumes are several times bigger than fitness equipment volumes - this makes buying glass and components a challenge. Some pieces of fitness equipment need to be self-powered - this is becoming less of a factor - but for those units the UI will be a challenge due to power requirements.

Give it a shot though. America is just getting fatter and fatter; fitness companies aren’t going anywhere, despite the recent boom in wearable health monitoring. For a lot of the country, getting a gym membership or a new treadmill is a January 1 ritual.