Close

UI Design for Fitness

Postby mwilkins1 » July 29th, 2014, 10:58 am

mwilkins1
step one
step one

Seems like the fitness industry would be an interesting industry to create really cool UI. I know someone who works there and it seems like it would be interesting. Has anyone seen this?

http://jobview.monster.com/User-Interfa ... c.facebook

Re: UI Design for Fitness

Postby chevisw » July 29th, 2014, 11:39 am

chevisw
full self-realization
full self-realization

it is frowned upon posting the same info in multiple areas..... seems like spamming even if legit.

Postby NURB » July 29th, 2014, 11:45 am

NURB

Cleaned it up. Commence discussion...
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby mwilkins1 » July 29th, 2014, 11:57 am

mwilkins1
step one
step one

Sorry, wasn't sure where to post. Thanks NURB for the assist!

Postby slippyfish » July 29th, 2014, 1:02 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

There are many interesting possibilities and imaginative aspects to blending exerciser and machine. I'm pretty sure that the design lead at Nautilus is a well-respected designer, but am not sure about the company overall. Looks like they are completely in the 'home' market and have pulled out of commercial entirely.

I can tell you about one or two of the challenges with UI design for fitness. Unless the company is investing in a complete display architecture they will probably run on a Microsoft platform or perhaps an Android platform. Fitness companies don't generally understand 'tech' so hiring developers who can turn your UI into something that works with a big machine will be a constant challenge. I see the posting advertises for Agile/Scrum experience which is good. Cost constraints will also be a factor since general CE volumes are several times bigger than fitness equipment volumes - this makes buying glass and components a challenge. Some pieces of fitness equipment need to be self-powered - this is becoming less of a factor - but for those units the UI will be a challenge due to power requirements.

Give it a shot though. America is just getting fatter and fatter; fitness companies aren't going anywhere, despite the recent boom in wearable health monitoring. For a lot of the country, getting a gym membership or a new treadmill is a January 1 ritual.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Return to interaction design