Postby JLdesign » November 8th, 2006, 10:55 pm

JLdesign
step three
step three

Wow, I'm digging up a thread from the dead here huh?

Anyway, what mmjohns said above pretty much hits the nail on the head. I have a degree in Industrial Design, I have 2 years of "practical application" of Photoshop, Illustrator, and Quark Express skills. I have this "I can do Graphic and Web Design" kind of "can do" mentality, and I've thought of "switching over" by investing some time taking more classes in Interaction Design or Interactive Media. The problem I'm seeing, is what he was saying above. It used to be that you could have a basic grasp of HTML, javascript, and graphics programs and you were okay. What I'm seeing in reality is that mmjohns is right, the ideal would be to be a CS person with a graphic design sensibility, and a good intuitive design driven thought process.

Other then making archiac "pong like" animations in C++ back in HS in 1996, I have no programing experience what so ever. :( I have thought about making "lemonade from lemons" and going to school part time while I look for a new job. I'm looking into different Interacive Media programs in Chicago right now, and I'm realizing that it's the normal paradigm for college courses; there is no classes that JUST focus on specific programs, they fold the whole skill set in and work progressively through a cirriculm. On one hand, I feel like I'd be better off going part time to college, covering my ass for living expenses by taking loans, and quitting after a semester if I found a good Industrial Design job in that time frame. I would be doing this in the hopes that what I learned could be useful enough to pick up some basic freelance work in graphic and web design.

At the same time, if I started taking Interactive Media or Interaction Design courses and found it to be stimulating and interesting to me, I might continue to pursue them on a part time basis. I guess I need to determine how much effort and programing knowledge it really would take, considering that I have none at this point.

Postby cg » November 9th, 2006, 12:44 am

cg

JLdesign wrote:I guess I need to determine how much effort and programing knowledge it really would take, considering that I have none at this point.

Industrial Design is not Engineering
Architecture is not Construction
Interaction Design is not Software Engineering (or Interface Design)

I think you'll find your answer in reading Alan Cooper's "The Inmates are Running the Asylum." Does the world really need more software engineers that can do Photoshop?!

Re: where is Interaction Design going?

Postby afonso » August 14th, 2011, 10:29 pm

afonso
step one
step one

I KNEW there was a difference between "Interaction Design" and "Human Computer Interaction."

I just didn't know it was called "Human Computer Interaction."

cg: thanks! this really clarified things for me. wow.

Postby experiMental » October 9th, 2011, 6:26 am

experiMental
step four
step four

The simple answer to this thread is that interaction design is going wherever it's practitioners will take it. In the place where I'm working at the moment, for example, we have stopped reinventing the wheel and now we're looking for re purposing standard solutions where millions of dollars were already spent on developing them. A lot like trying to convert a spoon into a fork. It's the best business strategy which suits our company best.

So to conclude, interaction design is following it's master company's business strategy. Sure, there will be individuals in universities who will be developing totally off-the-wall principles, but only a small percentage of these will end up in industry. Just keep on looking at developments in contemporary industry-standard solutions and that's how interaction design will go.

Postby afonso » July 21st, 2012, 1:52 pm

afonso
step one
step one

I would like to have a career being what Donald Norman describes in his book "The Design of Future Things". Where, in his book, he describes the house that "wakes up" when you wake up: when you walk down the hall, the lights come on, and when you go to make eggs, the fridge tells you that you can't because the toilet has been taking urine samples and so you can't eat the eggs because your cholesterol is too high, haha. I'd love to be responsible for creating that. It is like psychology, sociology and design combined -- just a few of my favorite things.

That'd be such a sweet job. Reminds me of Hal in "2001: A Space Odyessy", type deal. Hal is super freaky, but a career in that kind of work is just awe-inspiring to me.

cheers

Previous

Return to interaction design

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list